Sign in to follow this  
fortinbras

need advise red led on the igreen 600 watt unit...

fortinbras    0

hi there been googling around for solutions and found this forum! Ive done a dumb thing i bought the 600 watt unit thinking that it would do for my old computer and would last when i wanted to upgrade! i thought even tho it was a 600 watt psu, the igreen series regulated power smartly. so if you were only needing a 250 watt psu it would supply it, and go higher the more you need?

but i think i was wrong cos the red led is on, my motherboard is at least 3 years old now cant remmebr the make msi, if i look on it i see the model name is n1996.

can i assume this is the problem? or is there any troubleshooting advise you can give me.

sigh looks like i might have to upgrade sooner than i wanted to ahhaha.

thanks

TabSpace    0

your psu does not draw more watts then what your computer needs at the time.

for instance when my wife computer is at idle it uses 132 watts but uses 220 when under load. gaming for example.

The rating on the power supply is the max wattage it can handle to supply to your computer

the only reason wattages keep going up on psu's in to accomodate all the things we put into our computers. two 8800 gpu's for example

i have a 1000 watt in my rig and can gaurantee i only need about 400.

so in a nutshell you dont have a problem :)

fortinbras    0

ha....... yeh, thanks for the info its good to know! hmm i was reading somewhere that motherboards need to be +5v instead of -5V whatever that means, ill guess mine is -5 since its an older model. i cant think of any other reason the red light is on other than that... unless it comes on for bad connections?

ID    0

Hang on now, if the red light is on there could very well be a problem. It should only light up if the PSU is experiencing under-voltage, over-voltage, a short-circuit, etc. I don't personally own this PSU, but someone from CM should be able to clarify this.

fortinbras    0

yeh its the red light at the back,

well its off till i press the power on button at the front of the front of my case, perhaps i havent connected the motherboard to the case properly? (it was a new case too, got the psu together)

as soon as i press power on nothing happens except the red light at the back of the psu goes on.

heres some pics of the setup,

th_82641_IMG_0627_122_585lo.JPG

th_82900_IMG_0628_122_471lo.JPG

TabSpace    0

cant tell by your pics but it looks like you missed the four pin power connectore next to the main one. it should be in between the gold heat sink and the long power connection.

this is your motherboard tho KM2M Combo-L

yeah i think i see it. i believe it's the p-2 connector

fortinbras    0

hmmm yeh this is what i was worried about, see the manual says connect p2 p3 connector but i cant find the relative sockets...

there was space for the 4 pin next to the 20 pin connector and the were both together do you think i should take it out and use the p2 on it?

th_20441_IMG_0631_122_203lo.jpg

btw thanks so much for the motherboard info im in the process of fiinding a manual for it maybe it can shed some light. thanks!

EsaT    0
ha....... yeh, thanks for the info its good to know! hmm i was reading somewhere that motherboards need to be +5v instead of -5V whatever that means, ill guess mine is -5 since its an older model.
Motherboards don't use -5V instead of 5V, in old standards it was used by some components as secondary power source.

Motherboard's manual specifies -5V pins in ATX connector schematic but I don't know is that there for reason or just because of old picture.

Might be better to ask them if that motherboard really needs -5V.

And like said using 4pin ATX12V cable isn't optional.