Sign in to follow this  
Demona

Cosmos 1000 + Gemini II= To much heat

EsaT    0
And i agree zenphic said, tried apply a new thermal on the cpu and see if it help.
There's nothing wrong in those CPU temperatures. Maximum Tjunction (core/die temperature) for Conroe is 75C.

Besides Intel makes such concave heatspreaders that best way for lowering temperature after good HSF is grinding IHS flat and lapping it.

Problem is that 150+ W of heat generated by graphic card which now isn't evacuated directly out of the chassis, unlike situation is with standard two slot cooler.

And in fact these POS designed, unable to idle, DX10 top cards of both makers produce 60-70W of heat just for showing static Windows desktop which is as much as that CPU generates under full load so it isn't miracle if motherboard is running warm all the time.

(I don't think adding intake fan to bottom would help much)

i disagree what you said about that. if there is no intake cool air on the bottom, how do you going to intend to cool off the inside heat generate by the hardware? The intake cooling is very important source. Since he brought a first version COSMOS and not the recent ESA version which have a side cooling slot.

Trying to maximise noise?

Effectiveness of cooling isn't about having as many fans as possible but about having enough airflow through right places, like bensonboober said.

Exhaust fans are for moving heat out of the chassis. (except with positive pressure cooling) Unless airflow resistance is big having fan in both ends of airflow doesn't do much else than make more noise.

Besides sidepanel fan/airflow shortcut is one of the worst things if goal is quiet PC.

ID    0

I agree with EsaT, those CPU temperatures really aren't that bad for a Conroe. I would be more interested in knowing what the GPU temperatures are like...

Demona, I had a similar problem with getting proper airflow over my hardware, though it was a different case and a different cooler. Still, I came up with the same solution as you: flip the rear-mounted fan from exhaust to intake and have the top panel fans run as exhaust. It isn't the most ideal setup but it does work.

One other option is to purchase a PCI card cooler. They're fairly cheap and will increase airflow, but of course it will also generate more sound.

The reality is that there is almost always a tradeoff between silence and cooling performance. The Cosmos was designed with the goal to more or less balance those two aspects. To be honest, unless your GPU is running really hot I don't think you have too much to worry about.

Demona    0

The CPU temperature is ok... I was worried of the temperature of the motherboard in fact ( abt 45 C idle up to 58 ° during stress game play)..

Maybe this sloth fan will work...

SL1.gif

is not to noisy but I am not so sure that it will work.. because the problem in on the area above the graphic card not in the area below the graphic card...

Maybe removing the intake fan from the bottom and adding a 140mm at the base of the case will help what is your opinion?

what program you suggest to monitor the GPU temperature?

Starboykb    0
Trying to maximise noise?

Effectiveness of cooling isn't about having as many fans as possible but about having enough airflow through right places, like bensonboober said.

Exhaust fans are for moving heat out of the chassis. (except with positive pressure cooling) Unless airflow resistance is big having fan in both ends of airflow doesn't do much else than make more noise.

Besides sidepanel fan/airflow shortcut is one of the worst things if goal is quiet PC.

How many 120mm fans you can installed in Cosmos? there is only at least 5 slot and its not a CM stacker at all. what i am trying to say is that the bottom is meant for doing the intake cooling air job (thats why CM design its intake fan below) so that the other three on top and rear can do the extracting the hot air generate from the motherboard, processor and the graphics. Not to mention you got to do something about cooling the processor as Demona using geminII install with two 120mm. it need something to exchange its air flow. lets make it like this.

Cool air from bottom ---> getting cool air for all fans on CPU, graphic, and motherboard ---> heat generate from hardware ----> rear and top fan, extracting heat.

Cosmos is a very heavy case and well design for keeping it in silence operation. if you need more quieter PC than you need to replace the current CM original fans to high performance and silence type fan (not sure what's the the brand for the japan maker) as what many users does these days and that going to spend more.

However, you guys mention about putting the rear for doing the intake. but to me that is a problem. you seem to forget the two on top are doing the extracting and they are so close to each other as I dont think the rear will be able to push enough air flow into the motherboard while the two on top grab the air out heavily. it might improve the cpu cooling while the rear bringing the cool air, but what about the heat generate from the bottom PSU (moving up) and taking the heat from the back? what if he add another PCI cooler that extract the heat out? Again, it looks to me that make no different at all.

maybe i am wrong all about this, because i do not have chance to test it myself. However, i will not choose GeminII for Cosmos, instead i will go for other CPU cooling fan, because i still feel that it doesn't fit to be used on Cosmos but it will work well in CM stacker.

not sure if anyone mentione/noticed this..... but even though the air blowing directly at the motherboard isn't the greatest option for this case due to it's airflow system...... it's probably REALLY not helping it to have the fan on the HR-03 on the video card blowing down towards the card.

RaptorFury    0

my card runs quite well with it in that configuration . what is the ambient temps outside the case ? house temps

Demona    0

Cosmos is a very heavy case and well design for keeping it in silence operation. if you need more quieter PC than you need to replace the current CM original fans to high performance and silence type fan (not sure what's the the brand for the japan maker) as what many users does these days and that going to spend more.

All original fans were removed and silent fans were installed.

Starboykb in fact is right the back fan solution is not optimal the cold air going on the Gemini II is almost extracted instantly for this reason the temperature stais at 40° is I have the back and 1 top fan exhausting the heat and the mid top fan blowing the cold air the results ( without the plastic cover are good ( 30c° cpu and 30° mother board) bus as already pointed out... It would mean a horrible looking pc and dealing with a lot of dust.

ElementalDragon has a good point.. what if the fan on the HR-03 is a big part of the problem?

Is there a way I can help you help me?

RaptorFury you have my same configuration and same case?

My room temperature is abt 20°c/22°c

hafiez    0
However, i will not choose GeminII for Cosmos, instead i will go for other CPU cooling fan, because i still feel that it doesn't fit to be used on Cosmos but it will work well in CM stacker.

The GeminII fits in the COSMOS. im using it right now.with 2 x 120MM fans.

Starboykb    0
However, i will not choose GeminII for Cosmos, instead i will go for other CPU cooling fan, because i still feel that it doesn't fit to be used on Cosmos but it will work well in CM stacker.

The GeminII fits in the COSMOS. im using it right now.with 2 x 120MM fans.

your temp? your CPU model? share with us.

hafiez    0

err.. i only run it once. didnt detect the temp. i just run my PC to check whether its working or not. but my friend said that, his CPU cool down by 40% after using this cooler. plus with Vizo fans.