Sign in to follow this  
moonlander

Problem with homemade fan speed switch

moonlander    0

Hello everyone!

I've got a Cooler Master eXtreme power 500w [RP-500-PCAP]

and as so many other in this forum my psu sounded like a helicopter even when my computer was idle.

I bought it on the web and since it would cost me a lot to get it replaced I decided to do something to it myself.

This is how I've connected it:

i1333521_Untitled2.jpg

When the switch is set to the right the fan is in 5V mode and when its to the left its in 12V mode.

If i start the computer with the switch set to 12V mode everything is fine and the psufan is working at full speed.

And when i switch to 5V mode everything still works good and the psu is really silent.

So far so good, BUT When i try to switch back to 12V mode the computer shuts down.

After that i can start the computer again without any problem.

Does anyone have a clue about were the problem lies, cause i cant think about anything that could cause the problem.

EsaT    0

Do you have three position switch or different kind switch available?

At least some switch types have short fast vibrations between positions when setting is changed so maybe that causes some kind disturbance to 12V which PSU notices. Also putting small capacitor from switch's 12V and 5V pin to ground could help if that's the case.

RaptorFury    0

you may need a 3 way switch . from your diagram you using a 2 way . a switch with 3 prongs on the back side and should be like this , ex. pin 1 12 volt , pin 2 fan + , pin 3 5 volt .

moonlander    0

I am actually using a three way switch but since i don't know how to draw it I drew it that way...

I will test with a different switch.

I think it's like EsaT said cause it's when the switch is between two modes that the computer shuts down.

I'll be back with results!

moonlander    0

Okey,

I've changed the switch and now everything is

working as it is supposed to do!

Thanks for the help!

Do you think that I should post a guide on how I've done this

in the "how to" section?

I've read about a lot of people with the same problem.