Sign in to follow this  
madFive

Real-Power Pro 1000 with 690?

madFive    0

I'm considering pairing these two together, and just thought I'd check to make sure everything is completely compatible. Has anyone tried these two together?

My only two main concerns are: How well does the bottom fan line up with the grate on the bottom of the case? And, are all the cables long enough to reach the top corners of the case without issue? (sata power for top 5.25" bay, fans on top of case, or if main mb connector is at the top etc)

RaptorFury    0

the cables on those psu's are quite long so i dont think you will have much of a problem . the 690 is still a mid atx tower ( size wise its approximate )

EsaT    0

That case isn't really big so there shouldn't be problems in reaching anything.

Installing PSU fan up might be better, that grate in bottom is little too restrictive and PSUs exhaust might increase negative pressure and help drawing air in from front.

And what did you thought to be possible to cram into it which might require bigger than 2/3kW PSU?

madFive    0
That case isn't really big so there shouldn't be problems in reaching anything.

Installing PSU fan up might be better, that grate in bottom is little too restrictive and PSUs exhaust might increase negative pressure and help drawing air in from front.

Possibly a good idea! I may have to try both orientations for the psu and see which one runs cooler. The trend lately seems to be to isolate the psu's air-flow from the rest of the case - I just took it on good faith that this was a better solution - guess it's worth a shot to find out for sure.

And what did you thought to be possible to cram into it which might require bigger than 2/3kW PSU?

Hehe - not quite sure what that last sentence is asking - I'm just mostly trying to make sure the system is future-proof, in case I need to power something along the lines of multiple 8800ultra's etc sometime next year if the hardware and drivers ever make it benificial to do so. I don't think anyone is using 2/3kw psu's yet - I'm pretty sure the electrical system in my house wouldn't even handle that :P - it'll be enough of a strain with this 1kw monster.

edit - lol... sorry again - did you mean two-thirds kw or two-to-three kw's? I'm using a 650w psu now to power my single 7950, so maybe i'm just a sucker for overkill ;)

EsaT    0
The trend lately seems to be to isolate the psu's air-flow from the rest of the case - I just took it on good faith that this was a better solution
In case of PSU being on top of the case that's definitely much better because heat of components rises to there meaning PSU gets hot cooling air.

But in case of PSU on bottom there might not be any difference (few degrees don't affect PSU) while additional exhaust could increase inflow cooling hard disks.

What I looked it should be fast and easy to change PSUs position in that case so checking temperatures would be easy, just let PC run for half hour and check HD temperatures with SpeedFan for seeing if there's significant difference.

(if HD temperature is around 45C then I would keep couple decrease lower temperature as good reason to keep PSU on that position)

edit - lol... sorry again - did you mean two-thirds kw or two-to-three kw's? I'm using a 650w psu now to power my single 7950, so maybe i'm just a sucker for overkill ;)
Don't they use fractional numbers in US?

7950GT= "mighty" 61W peak 3D load.

Here's data what most PCs consume, for real load on PSU deduct 15% from measured value. (20% if measured value 250W or lower)

madFive    0

Yea - I'm familiar with fractions :) in online writing the slash is sometimes meant to be read as an "or" tho, so at first glance it can be confusing... nm. I already had trouble with my 7950 shutting down my machine in games because of an unstable/underpowered 500w unit, so I guess my philosophy on power is "better safe than sorry."

As for cooling, I'm loading this case out with another 5 90cfm 120mm fans :twisted: just because I can. I already put the 3 low-powered fans that came with the case into the front and bottom positions for intake, so I'll have 3 big ones for exhaust at the top and back, and another 2 blowing on the cpu and gpu (using a controller to throttle those two down if needed). Should be noisy as **** (the way i like it :twisted: ), but I don't think i'll have to worry about hdd cooling. :wink:

And while we're on the topic of air-flow overkill - do you know of any way to measure the air pressure inside a case to make sure i have the in/out flow reasonably balanced? Or is that generally not an issue?

EsaT    0
And while we're on the topic of air-flow overkill - do you know of any way to measure the air pressure inside a case to make sure i have the in/out flow reasonably balanced? Or is that generally not an issue?
Adding more fans for "balancing in/out flow" is extremely unwise from noise perspective because mostly it can't increase airflow in anyway while every new fan increases noise.

As example think about airflow through pipe which has fan on one end, now if you add second similar fan to other end it doesn't increase airflow in any significant amount but produces just more noise.

Adding extra fans to airflow path can increase airflow in significant amounts only when there's resistance in airflow path creating back pressure which lowers amount of air fan can move. Even small back pressure has effect on airflow and if back pressure is same as maximum pressure fan can generate airflow drops to zero, especially in case of low speed fans generated pressure is very small and restrictions in airflow path can block airflow nearly completely. (that's why wire grill is only good choise as guard in front of fans)

Also amount of airflow doesn't matter if any of it doesn't go through right places, for example these media sexy sidefans quite effectively "shortcircuit" case airflow because exhaust fans can't anymore draw air in from front which normally creates airflow over HDs even without any front intake fan.

I already had trouble with my 7950 shutting down my machine in games because of an unstable/underpowered 500w unit,
Then that wasn't PSU but BSU and someone lied.

madFive    0
As example think about airflow through pipe which has fan on one end, now if you add second similar fan to other end it doesn't increase airflow in any significant amount but produces just more noise.

Adding extra fans to airflow path can increase airflow in significant amounts only when there's resistance in airflow path creating back pressure which lowers amount of air fan can move. Even small back pressure has effect on airflow and if back pressure is same as maximum pressure fan can generate airflow drops to zero, especially in case of low speed fans generated pressure is very small and restrictions in airflow path can block airflow nearly completely. (that's why wire grill is only good choise as guard in front of fans)

Also amount of airflow doesn't matter if any of it doesn't go through right places, for example these media sexy sidefans quite effectively "shortcircuit" case airflow because exhaust fans can't anymore draw air in from front which normally creates airflow over HDs even without any front intake fan.

Thanks for the info – this looks extremely helpful, but having a little trouble following you - sadly, they don't make tube-shaped pc's, at least not that i've seen :) so the air-flow gets a little more complicated... First off, let me get out of the way that I seem to be the only freak on the face of the earth that likes a noisy pc, so assume noise isn’t an issue. If my pc cranks out a brisk 100db I’ll be a happy camper – just means I get to play my speakers louder to drown it out! :twisted:

Ok – to get the rest straight – you’re saying adding too many intake fans is a really bad idea, ‘cause the out fans just get backed up and the air doesn’t end up going anywhere? Makes sense. I’m planning on using some extremely powerful exhaust fans on the top and back to pull the air through, and tho it looks like I’m ending up with way too many intake fans, I’m planning on using a controller to run them at low speeds to make sure I don’t have too much intake. Are you saying that adding fans on the side panel is a bad idea?

Best case scenario – assuming all noise is negligible – what would be the best airflow possible for the 690? I'd appreciate configuration lists...

EsaT    0
Thanks for the info – this looks extremely helpful, but having a little trouble following you - sadly, they don't make tube-shaped pc's, at least not that i've seen :)
Basically PC chassis is comparable to that tube example, intake fans are the ones which push air into tube and exhaust fans those drawing air out of it and components needing cooling are along the length of tube.
Ok – to get the rest straight – you’re saying adding too many intake fans is a really bad idea, ‘cause the out fans just get backed up and the air doesn’t end up going anywhere? Makes sense.
To put it simply adding fans in series (intake+exhaust fan) doesn't increase airflow, just like adding batteries in series doesn't increase current you can get out of them. It only increases pressure against which airflow can move. (in battery comparison two 1.5V cells in series can push same current through doubled resistance)

For increasing airflow air has to either move faster meaning higher fan RPM or tube has to be wider meaning more fans in parallel. Like two exhaust fans instead of one exhaust and intake fan. (or the reverse: two intake fans)

Are you saying that adding fans on the side panel is a bad idea?
If noise isn't concern then it doesn't matter how messy airflow is (except of course chassis with only intake fans and no way for air to get out or the reverse) as long as there's enough of it and it cools all components.

Side intake fan can lower temperature of hot running component directly in front of it but for low noise cooling (=least amount and lowest speed fans) it can mess that airflow "through tube" very badly.

Cosmos chassis is good example of how these principles work.

Best case scenario – assuming all noise is negligible – what would be the best airflow possible for the 690?
In that case... fastest speed fans you can find and as many of them as you can fit for maximizing airflow through the chassis.

But because world is imperfect and fans and airflow produce noise that might end up sounding like aircraft in take-off. :mrgreen:

VALKYRIE    11

Quote from EsaT .........."(The trend lately seems to be to isolate the psu's air-flow from the rest of the case - I just took it on good faith that this was a better solution

In case of PSU being on top of the case that's definitely much better because heat of components rises to there meaning PSU gets hot cooling air. )"............................

In my opinion is better the PSU at the bottom of the CM690 case ,with its fan facing the grill below the PSU ,is better a PSU suking fresh air direct from outside of the case , because the hot air inside the PSU decrease the production of WATTS and also decrease its lifetime