Sign in to follow this  
XR8

Problem with 1000w Modular

XR8    0

Hi,

I just bought a Coolermaster 1000W modular PSU replacing the Antec 650w I had before. The new PSU caused the computer to shut down unexpectedly and just after booting telling me that "overclocking failed press f1 to bios setup or f2 for set at default" even though I haven't overclocked the computer.

I replaced it with the original PSU and have no problems now.

Is safe to say the 1000w PSU is faulty?

This us what I got:

Asus P5K Premium

Core 2 duo 6700

4GB Ram

150gb Raptor

2x500gb Hitachi

8600gt

4X120mm fans

Plextor DVD burner

Fdd

Vista 64bit

EsaT    0
Is safe to say the 1000w PSU is faulty?
At least it's safe to say it's about 300% overshooting and runs at lower efficiency than approriately sized PSUs.

At what moment shut down happened? During boot or in Windows?

XR8    0

At what moment shut down happened? During boot or in Windows?

Most of the times it's during booting, I have got to windows a couple of times but shuts down before I can start a program.

EsaT    0

Some P35 motherboards have "double boot" problem (PC reboots at "first try") but those happen always instantly.

Also there has been booting problems with high efficiency design PSUs and some Asus motherboards but also those happen instantly.

Do you have multimeter? You can "jumpstart" PSU without PC by shorting green wire to ground from motherboard's 24pin connector making it possible to measure voltages.

Looks much like reason is in it if PC works without any problems with that Antec (TruePower Trio?) PSU.

Also Asus P5W DH gives that kind error message if PC was shutdown abnormally (from power button or by shutting down PSU from switch) so it might be fully normal.

XR8    0

No I don't have a multimeter but I haver contacted Cooler Master support and they believe the PSU is faulty.

Thanks anyway EsaT. :)