Sign in to follow this  
SatanicHare

iGreen 430w Buzzing

SatanicHare    0

I have an iGreen 430w which when first purchased made a buzzing noise occasionally, it isn't fan noise as it sounds like an electrical buzzing. My system is stable and the voltage readings I get in the BIOS and Everest are both good but recently the buzzing has stopped being intermittent and is now almost a permanent feature that can be heard over the rest of my system.

I have done a little reading around, some say its going to blow up and take out the system, others say its 'normal' for some supplies to do it. I am looking for some clarification on whether my iGreen is needing RMA'd again (first one I had wouldn't boot).

SatanicHare    0

Nothing to power draining.

Abit kv8 with AMD 3000+

1gb ddr400 crucial value

Geforce 6600

Compro T200 tv card

Creative X-fi music

Edimax wireless lan

WD 500gb sata drive

IDE dvd writer

The buzzing had been constant for 3 days but when I booted up today it stopped after a few seconds and hasn't came back yet. I'll post the voltage readings from everest too.

Voltage Values

CPU Core 1.46 V

+3.3 V 3.30 V

+5 V 5.05 V

+12 V 12.26 V

+5 V Standby 5.02 V

DIMM 2.57 V

DIMM VTT 1.31 V

AGP VDDQ 1.56 V

pdxpc    0

The Ultra 400W unit that's in my secondary PC made a loud squealing noise the first time it was powered on. It was intermittent for about the first week or so, then disappeared all together. It's been over a year and the noise has now returned. I did a Google search and found others with the same problem. The general consensus is that is a capacitor that's going bad. I've purchased a Cooler Master eXtreme 500W to replace it so that I can RMA the Ultra.

I've only had a couple PSU's fail on me. So far I've been lucky, every time one has died it went all at once and did no other damage. The only hassle was the downtime required to purchase a new supply. I figure if you've got one that's giving you a sign that something is wrong, best bet is to use the warning as a hint to get a replacement and swap it out.

knud    129

@SatanicHare, can you do some system testing, like prime95 or 3dmark? See if that will cause also some zooming.

SatanicHare    0

I run Prime95 for an hour last night using the torture test to create heat and power usage. All I got was the fan spinning up but the buzzing was absent, I will try leaving the system on for a few days now to see if that causes the buzzing to return.

SatanicHare    0

Ok, my system has now been running for about 48 hours. Was playing Football Manager 2008, and the buzz has started again. I have allowed my system to sit idle for about 40 minutes now to allow it too cool and reduce power draw but the buzzing is still persisting.

Any ideas as to what it could be and if I am at risk of doing damage to any of my components?

knud    129

Your components are save, but the I'm afraid your psu fan is out-of-balance.

Sorry to tell, but this sounds like you have to RMA this psu.

SatanicHare    0

You sure its that? Its a buzz that is similar to the one you would hear near an electricity sub station or high voltage cables. In my experience most fans made a whirring, grinding or in worst case squeaking noises.