Sign in to follow this  
camshaft

ok, stupid question about BTX vs. ATX

camshaft    0

So I was just thinking a little while ago....

As far as I understand, one of the biggest reasons for moving to BTX is the airflow idea. In ATX, the CPU is the last component inside to get cold air since the air moves from the front to the back of the case. So BTX flips the whole motherboard around and repositions the insides so that the air coming in the front moves over the CPU first and then over the rest of the components.

So my question is, why don't they just flip the case fans around so the air moves in the opposite direction? Then it will come in the back and get to the CPU first. I realize the layout isn't as good, but isn't it effectively a similar idea?

Thanks guys,

Austin

Mr. Miyagi    2

Well one of the problems with you idea is not all cases have a front intake, they only have a back, so when the air is pushed in, it has no where to go, but if it sucks the air out, it can be more cooling efficient. Also, the back really only has room for 1-2 fans, which are places above the pci slots. In your suggestion, the fans would be placed better if on top, in place of the drives, so they would have to be located in the lower bays. Nice idea though.

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

basically intel ****** up the new prescott cores area pile of **** they run too hot literally on stock cooling 60 idle. so if they can get mroe airflow to it it can run slightly cooler. plus the prescotts are slow and benchmark pitifully.

Guest Kingfisher   
Guest Kingfisher

btx standard can still be adjustiable since there are not a lot of products one them.

Karma Ghost    0
basically intel ****** up the new prescott cores area pile of **** they run too hot literally on stock cooling 60 idle. so if they can get mroe airflow to it it can run slightly cooler. plus the prescotts are slow and benchmark pitifully.

Tell tale sign of an AMD fan :lol:

But I do agree... haven't to change case form factor to comply with your new heat plant processors is pretty pitiful.

Nitro Oxide    0

lol I am all for the new form factor because it would improve cooling for all systems. Even AMD. (Plus in my expirience AMD runs hotter but I still use them anyways). Also I am ready for BTX so its easy for me to say bring it on (I love my CM Stacker more every day).

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

the sign of an AMD man, running his second P4 system, the last amd i had wa a thunderbird which was awesome. the new prescott P4's run hot unlike AMD's cores which are about the same as a northwood P4. yea but if we want to window our cases we gotta put it to the left hand side of the desk and it just doesnt feel right. plus it'll mess up cabling as all molex's connect on the right hand side of the case so u can hide em round the side, wiht btx ur gonna hide em round the left, which is just gonna get into a mess cos it;ll clase with the other cables.

Guest Kingfisher   
Guest Kingfisher

Tell tale sign of an AMD fan :lol:

But I do agree... haven't to change case form factor to comply with your new heat plant processors is pretty pitiful.

But I use Intel CPU in my computer, look at my sign if you do not believe.