Sign in to follow this  
coolmiester

Project: Cosmos SLR

coolmiester    0

Cheers notorious 8)

Time to start playing with the side vents/windows.

Basically just drew the vent onto cardboard freehand – cut it out and transferred it onto the side panel then cut both sides out with a jigsaw.

I ran a mouse sander over the panels to get rid of the brushed anodised finish as the panels will be painted at some point the same colour as the front door.

I cheated a bit and had the 4 aluminium bars that would end up being the backbone of each vent (2 each side) CNC’d at a local machine shop as it would have been a nightmare trying to get the angles correct especially as it 10mm thick alu and much harder to work on with small hand tools.

Anyway I could only get the CNC cut so much as they were done before actually cutting the vents in the side panel and I wasn’t sure how big the vents would end up being so there was always going to be a bit of work to do on the alu bars but ended up getting them to fit perfect.

Once they were all fitting nice, I drilled holes in both the panel and bars then tapped the bars to accept 6/32â€

hed420    0

Awesome job coolmiester!

What did you use to polish the aluminum? A buffing wheel and what else?

Oh and..... U OWN THE ACTUAL CAR!!! :shock:

How much did that thing cost you?

coolmiester    0

Got the paint back today which looks fabulous so I carried on with the side vent/windows in an upbeat mood but while I was waiting for the paint to turn up I had a little go at polishing one of the bars and I’m glad to say they aren’t going to take to much work to get them nice and shiny………….still need to round the ends off but paint arrived and couldn’t wait any longer to get the vents in.

Had to tap both bars then cut the plexi to fit and fixed the slats into place with button head hex bolts and measuring twice cutting ones worked well this time as they couldn’t have fit any better.

Its still hard to get an idea what they look like by photo but I must admit I’m more than happy………….just got to make sure to get the other one just as good

92.jpg

93.jpg

94.jpg

95.jpg

96.jpg

97.jpg

98.jpg

99.jpg

101.jpg

100.jpg

@ hed420 - For polishing aluminium i use an Hitachi DA Sander/Polisher with a lambswool bonnet (you can see it in the background of a few previous pictures) and yes, my car but not quite an SLR (i wish)

hed420    0

Btw, the front door panel looks like it belongs on your car. lol. It looks great on the hood. Maybe you should mod your car! :D

coolmiester    0

Thanks again for the feedback everyone.

I would have preferred to put much more of a curve on the bars just like the real thing like this (thanks to Reckless187 for the photo) but the aluminium was way to hard to and i seem to be running out of time so ended up sort of rounding the corners which is a good second best.

Anyway, got them rounded off and polished up and they look pretty cool.......

103.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

Maxession    1

Ah, nice, perfect marth with the car.

Are you gona do the other side the same?

And, what are you gona do with the whole on the bottom right?

coolmiester    0

@ Maxession - yip other side will be identicle and as for the holes......see below:)

Just realised it’s the 16th today so I’ve not got as much time as I’d thought so may miss the Coolermaster Mod competition this year but I’ll keep at it

Some exhausts......

Last job of the day I angle cut some aluminium pipe into 4 sections (2 for each side) to replicate the SLR exhausts and then polished them.

The little cut out bits from the side panel will be getting some gloss black and clear coat which the pipes will be mounted to and the inside of the pipe will be getting painted matt black

107.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg