Sign in to follow this  
potuz

Real Power 850W too noisy

potuz    0

Hi there, I've installed a rig with about 7 chassis fans, and the only one I can hear loud and clear is the PSU fan. Is there any recomendations/how-to's to change the PSU fan? can I just use any 120mm case fan? (I realize the PSU fan seems to be a bit bigger though).

P.

jer1cho    0

ure right, the thing's bigger, and its not supposed to make much noise. Plus, if u open the Power Supply's case, you will void ur warranty. Me thinks its a faulty fan, or your system is running hot and the fan is running 100% all the time. Try to get a replacement a see if the problem persists

potuz    0

It seems to be running at 100% all the time, well, actually, it's running at the same noise level all the time, I guess it's running at the same speed all the time and (hopefully) it's 100%.

Is it supposed to control the speed based on load/temps? there's no mobo connector on this PSU, so I assumed that the fan would spin a constant rate... If it's supposed to be changing speeds based on temps (I guess internal to the PSU) then I may have a faulty one.

R.

EDIT: as for my system temps: I doubt they're "hot" as it's most of the time around 35-33 C

knud    129

The fan inside the psu has fan control based on temp and load.

But it seems like yours is broken...

I'd say, apply for RMA.

potuz    0

Well, before I go through RMA, let me check if it could be my fault instead of the PSU. The heatsink I'm using is a Zalman 9700, this one is quite big and it's sitting just underneath the PSU. The fan of the PSU is pointing down so a priori it may be taking hot air out of the heatsink straight into the PSU.

Could it change if I just put the fan up? I doubt this is the case cause I tested running the system quite hot from a cold boot (booting and then running prime factorizations for quite a while) and the "noise" didn't change at all (I can't measure RPMs on this fan).

Should I apply anyways for RMA or should I unplug everything and change the fan up?

R.

EDIT: wait a second, I just read some threads in the RMA subforums (I probably should move this whole one there) and from those examples I guess that I have to have my system down until I get the PSU fixed? this sounds kind of ridiculous, but anyways, is this how RMA works?