Sign in to follow this  
klondikejim

the new 750 power supply

klondikejim    0

I cant seem to get a reply anywhere, even emailed Cooler Master on this, and my video card manufacturer, but I recently through Newegg purchased a new system, including the new 750 Watt pro power supply. Will this be adaquate voltage for a sli setup of to 8800GTX video cards, and all the normal additions, such as 4 gb ram, 3 sata drives, X-Fi audio card, Asus Striker Extreme Mobo? Reviews on the power supply are positive, but when I look at Nvidia's website it only lists the 850 as adaquate, and I wasnt sure if that was due to the fact that the 750 is a new model. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, love the new Stacker Case. It arrived a day before my other components and it is Begging me to finish itself tonight.

ts_123    0

The Real Power Pro 750 will power up one 8800 video card, but not two. Each video card requires 2xPCI-E connectors and this power supply on has 2.

Maxession    1

It should be enough, don't know if the cables are all the same thow.

here's a calculator if you want: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine be sure to take more than it says, cause thats more like the minimum, 750W should be good I think.

EDIT: ts_123 got faster then me...and as you see, there is the cable problem.

Maxession    1

Well, it is SLI capable, but only with cards requiring only 1x6pin connector, which gives 2 in SLI. 8800GTX needs 2, so 4 in total for SLI.

The real power 850 serie and above have 4x 6pin cables.

RaptorFury    0

on a review i just got thru reading it has 2 x 6 pin pci-e and 2 x 8 pin pci-e plugs . this psu i believe will power twin 2900's easily enough as it falls under ATI's quidlines for crossfire 750 watt psu , 4 x 6 pin plugs ( 2 x 4 pin + 2 x 8 pin recommended ) . i do know cm power supplies are good and not a elcheapo i do believe it can power a couple of gtx's if you can convert the 2 8 pin pci-e's to a couple of 6 pin pci-e's ...

Maxession    1

Well, it does has 8pin connectors, but they're on the same cable as the 6pin connector ( image ) so I don't know if you'll have enough power for both connectors when using at the same time.

image from this review

RaptorFury    0
Two 8-pin PCI-Express connectors and two 6-pin PCI-Express connectors. These are spread out over two cables like the one shown below; the top connector is the 8-pin and the bottom is the 6-pin.

yes you are correct but i belive the purpose of the psu ( as most the RP's are ) sli capable or crossfire capable @ 750 watts rating ( continuous ) maxing @ round 825 - 850 watts is more then capable of handling such a task . it may require some fiddling with the cables ( put one 6 pin connector on #1 card and the 8 pin on card 2 then put the other cable as 8 pin on card 1 and 6 pin on card 2 ) to evenly distribute the amps , if your card has 2 Pci-e connectors . but depending on type of card's he is running if its a ultra or 2900 Xt i would recomend the 850 watter , again i think the 750 be more then capable

edit: just to add that listing i dont think has been updated latly as the 750 and a couple others from cm are fairly new ...

klondikejim    0

I went ahead and RMA'd it with NewEgg as they wanted it before I opened it, so not sure if it would have done the trick or not. Did end up getting the 1k Cooler Master, so should have no worries now.

Now I have my system built, with the CM Stacker and ready to go once I get the power supply. What an easy case to work with. I know this is for another area of the forum, but I just love the case. Only thing I couldnt figure was where to put the CM Stackers audio and mic jacks, as I am not using Intel Audio, but rather a creative X-fi. I guess best thing was just to tuck that cable away and not use the jacks. The Thermalright cooler BARELY fits the box though, so beware, I had to remove one of the fan holders in the side door to make it work. cant wait to power it up.