Sign in to follow this  
PoiZen

Cooling / giving up

Karma Ghost    0
WOW! That sounds way to hot for a Barton. What kind of Motherboard do you have? I have heard of some motherboards reporting the temps wrong. This would be fixed with the lastest BIOS update. I have 2 computers with (air cooled) overclocked Bartons, and they don't run nearly that hot.

I don't think many boards would overreport THAT much...

It may be a faulty heatsink? Did you try giving it a lapping to see if it would help a bit?

BroChaos    0

geeze...lapping seems soo...extreme....

i guess i'd try another heatsink first, but i highly doubt that could be the problem...

Karma Ghost    0

Lapping isn't an extreme mod though... all it requires is sand paper and patience....

If you have experience painting a case it should be just about the same.

Mr. Miyagi    2
Copper heat sink

-Sand paper - 600 grit, 800 grit, 2000 grit ($11.00 total)

-Water (free)

-Dish soap (laying around)

-Arctic Silver V, or YOUR choice of thermal compound

Those are the only materials you need. You can pretty much find everything around the house.

PoiZen    0

Thanks for all the sugestions guys.

I have previously tried them all except for the BIOS flash, which I will try now.

Anyway, I havnt OC'd the CPU and it seems very stable, even though teh temps read so high. I did get a video heat related malfunction, but I was messing with teh settings a bit. The rig does seem to put out more heat then I'm used to feeling, but I have added an ATI x800, from a Gforce 4, and two 10,000rpm Raptor SATA HD's so I was attributing the extra heat in the case to those.

The Motherboard is a Gigabyte K7 Triton, 7nnxp, and I have a 1gig of Dual channel pc3200 Geil. This MOB has a Sister board with fan, which is a dual power feature, providing 6-phase power.

In any event i'll update the BIOS and see if just maybe its the problem. If not, I'm wondering if maybe this Gigabyte "Patented Dual Pwer System" that supposedly regulates the power to the board is screwing things up. I'll do a search to see if anyone else is experiencing this situation.

Thanks again!

PoiZen    0

Here is what is said to describe the DPS feature

Dual Power System (DPS)

The DPS technology is an ingenious design that gives you a power circuit with a total of 6 phases.In a DPS (Dual Power System) designed motherboard, an additional 3-phase power circuit DPVRM (Dual Power Voltage Regulator Module) daughter card is added on the motherboard. This effectively provides a more durable and stable power circuit to sustain a larger electric current of up to 150A.

fastrpms    0

Are you getting these temperatures from the BIOS menu or from some program within Windows? Also, you have several components that produce a good deal of heat. What is the case temperature reported at? If the case temp is getting extremly hot then you can stop troubleshooting the CPU cooler. I mention this because it happened to me when I bought a new power supply that didn't blow the enough heat out of the case. My case temps got up to 60 - 65 degrees, therefore my CPU temps jumped to 70. :evil: