Sign in to follow this  
PoiZen

Cooling / giving up

PoiZen    0

Hi all, I would appreciate some feedback on teh issue of liquid cooling. I have decided that the only possible way to cool down my rig is via liquid cooling, or throwing away the proc and starting over. I have come to the realization that I just have a very hot running CPU. Its a 3200 Barton, and I have two of them in different boxes, one runs under 50c with my old heatsink, and mine runs at about 69c with my new CM Vortex HS, new case, and the side off. It runs just over 70c with teh side on. Now I didnt buy this new Cav to leave the side off. In any event, I wont be upgrading MOB, and Proc for another year, so I have little choice left.

While I have built several dozen systems I have never installed liquid cooling and I woudl appreciate any advice, hints, safty measures you all may have.

Thanks!!!!!!

BroChaos    0

those temps are just insane...and i know it's not that hot in michigan right now...

and you double checked the application of AS5, and did it exactly like the instructions on the website? making sure to clean everything with alochol?

as i mentioned in a different thread, i recently reapplied some AS3, and my temps dropped 5c just because i applied it better this time...(i wasn't 100% satisfied with how i applied it last time).

the vortex should be plenty of fan/heatsink. there's got to be something fundamentally wrong to get those kinds of temps...

PoiZen    0

Yeah I know the temps are crazy, it was worse with the OEM temp compound on teh HS, and I had first used the Arctic Siler v4, bought the newest and best AS v5, and it droped about 4c, and like ive said, I changed Case, HS, and fans in an attempt to solve the problem, but no dice. And like I've said, while I've built a couple of dozen systems, I've installed well over 50 processors, so I do know what I am doing in that regard.

Also yes I use alcohol, not teh cheap 90% but the good stuff 99%, lol

I too have on occasion, wiped off the AS and started over, even if the HS slides just a little during install, I'll stop and redo, Im very particular. And this thing has run this hot after four different installs, even if I did something wrong one time, i wouldnt do it four times, hmmmmm Would I? Maybe I should just secretly switch it out with my Sons 3200, no no id have to live with myself :twisted:

)One more thing, yes I know with AS, less is more, a thin film, no ridges. Its an art form layin down a perfect film. :lol:

Brok3n    0

It probably has mostly to do with the amount of airflow in the case, if I remember correctly the Cavalier series utitlizes an 80mm fan in the front for intake and a 120mm in the back for exhaust. By changing these fans out for ones that offer a higher CFM then you should increase the amount of cool air flowing through the case and across the processor. Coolermaster generally ships low rpm, quiet, low cfm fans with their cases which will work fine in some cases but not all cases, especially not with processors that notoriously run hot such as the barton cores.

I would recommend a Thermaltake Smart Fan II for the front intake, it adjust speed based on temperature and can put out up to 76CFMs. For the exhaust I would recommend finding a 120mm that can exhaust atleast 80cfms, more preferably. This will help up the airflow in that case substaintly and you should notice a nice temperature drop.

Also, if your well versed in the use of a dremel, adding a 80mm fan to the side panel blowing directly over the processor heatsink/fan would help drop temperatures even more.

I hope that this helps you out, I had to do something similar in my wavemaster case to get my barton to run at an acceptable level.

BroChaos    0

yeah, only think i can think is the monitoring program or airflow. obviously, you know how to put heatsinks on...

i really don't know what else it could be.

airflow couldn't be THAT bad, cuz your ambient temps shouldbn't be too hot in MI.

where in MI again? i can't remember if i asked you already...

Brok3n, be careful recommending products from competing companies, apparently thats not well liked around here ;)

Brok3n    0

Haha, sorry - I most certaintly choose coolermaster products when available but unfortunately they don't offer high cfm fan solutions.

fastrpms    0

WOW! That sounds way to hot for a Barton. What kind of Motherboard do you have? I have heard of some motherboards reporting the temps wrong. This would be fixed with the lastest BIOS update. I have 2 computers with (air cooled) overclocked Bartons, and they don't run nearly that hot.

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

the barton i had b4 giving it away ran at 24degrees