Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Cat

C'mon, help a newbie out.

Dr. Cat    0

Hi everyone,

I have just recently got my hands on a new computer. It is an AMD 64

3000 on an Asus K8VSE motherboard (does that sound right?) When I look at the CPU temp it seems quite high, around 50-60 degrees C. This can't be good can it?

What would you cooler experts suggest I do? Should I get a new CPU cooling system?

Upgrade my case (which is a cheapy) and case fan? I need a solution that is relatively easy to install and not crazy expensive.

Any help you can offer is much appreciated.

PoiZen    0

50-60 is within the recomended operating temps. At least its not 66-69 like mine!

Mr. Miyagi    2

There are many things that you can to decrease the temps. A common but good one would replace the HSF and thermal paste. I recomend the Hyper 6 w/ Arctic Silver 5. Many will agree with me that this is a really nice set up. I OC'd my 3000 @ 3200 now at 37*c idle and 42*c load. The 80mm CM LED fans can push a lot of air though your case. If you want to mod, you can put a blow hole which can also decrease your temps. Here's a great one by Linear. http://linear1.org/gm/archives/00000148.php

You can also sleeve your cables to increase airflow or create extension cables like FOP. http://www.coolermaster.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=514 I hope these things help.

BroChaos    0

what are the ambient temps in your room? no sense in mentioning your air cooled setup with mentioning the ambient temps.

sometimes my room gets up to 95f, so even the best air cooling setup possible would not be able to keep me under 50c.

however, make sure you have at least 2 case fans blowing in, and 2 blowing out. you can add one or two to your case for just a couple bucks.

next, make sure you apply AS5, and that you apply it correctly. i recently reapplied mine, cuz i wasn't 100% happy with how it went the last time. my temps dropped 5c just because i applied it better this time (and thats 5c before it's even burned in...)

those are the two cheapest methods.

if you have a stock heatsink/fan, then i'd receommend upgrading after you've done the following, since these can run around $50 or so...

Karma Ghost    0

Ambient temps would help a lot.

And AMD stock heatsinks are a joke; they always have been. I would suggest looking into an aftermarket. But if your ambience is pretty hot, don't expect the difference to be phenominal (meaning you won't get 32 celcius in a room that is 30 celcius :lol: )

I would suggest the hyper6, because right now I think it is the best bang for the buck. It outperforms the ThermalRight SP-94 and has less compatibility issues than the XP-120.

ShaShou    0

It appears that AMD 64's with some mobo's give inaccurately high temperature readings. I have an AMD 64 3400+ with an MSI K8N Neo Platinum board, and it constantly reads 60 C, however, the heatsink is very cool to the touch. On various forums that I have read, people recommend a BIOS flash, but the success rate of this is not high. I have learned to live with my temperature readings about 20 C too high. There is more info at AMD 64 forums like this one:

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?s=e2671 ... howforum=7

Dr. Cat    0

Thanks for all the suggestions and links.

Looks like it is a fairly common problem with my Mobo Chip combo. Something to do with an outdated BIOS.

ShaShou    0

I did a BIOS flash with mine, and it worked fine until I rebooted. Then, the same high temp readings. Seems like maybe there is no fix. Does your heatsink seem hot to the touch?

BroChaos    0

yikes, 60c, but not hot to the touch? something is definitely wrong there, i'd say the software :P