Sign in to follow this  
Iverieli

Help! I need to find a mobo that will fit GeminII!

Iverieli    0

I need to find a good mobo (OC capable) that will fit the Cooler Master GeminII which I recently bought.

I've had difficulty finding a GOOD mobo which will fit the GeminII, without having to pay $130+.

Please give me some advice.

Components going into this mobo will be:

Athlon64 X2 5600 (I want to OC)

Nvidia 8800 GTS 640

A-Data 2Gig DDR800 RAM

Iverieli    0

I was looking at this Asus nForce 570 but it looks as if the PCI-E is way too close to the CPU and the 8800 GTS would likely get in the way of the GeminII heatsink. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there anyone out there using a good mobo with the GeminII that could recommend anything??

The only way for a 8800 GTS to get in the way of the GeminII would be if you installed the cooler pointing down which in this case would block just about every PCIe slot on any motherboard you choose.

This is not the correct orientation of how to install the GeminII:

1313102204pd4ek3.jpg

This is the correct orientation of how to install the GeminII:

13131022041vb9kv4.jpg

Iverieli    0

Great pics! Where did you get them??

The problem is, after reading a great deal, it's been said the GeminII only mounts vertically on AM2 boards. The only way you can mount it horizontally is if you have an Intel chipset.

Cooler Master might have corrected this problem with new mounting plates/screws for the GeminII, but unless that is the case, AM2 chipsets can only be mounted vertically.

It might help if I can read about it some on the site you got these pictures from. Mind giving me the link? Thanks a bunch.

I made them using photoshop with pictures I got from Newegg.

I did some searching and the cooler mounts the correct way as you can see in the picture. The mounting holes lineup with the four mounting holes on the motherboard so that the cooler installed the right way.

1313102204ao3.jpg

knud    128

AM2 is unfortunately not the best socket to mount a GeminII :(

But this might help:

770469658c088d7499712ae5c0ab3183.jpg

de3a5c123df22a5fb594a4af10875c99.jpg

Biostar's n590sli mobo will work:

b20070510_11.jpg

source

Iverieli    0

On xbitlabs.com, it states the following:

"For the GeminII to be correctly installed on Socket AM2/939 mainboards it is necessary that the plastic fastening frame and the holes in the mainboard were parallel to the rear panel of the system case (or to the mainboard’s I/O connectors)."

"So, before purchasing the new cooler you should make sure it is compatible with your mainboard."

I guess the problem is in the fastening frame, and this is why vertical mounting is the only option on AM2 boards it seems.

Does anyone have the GeminII with an AM2 board???

As long as the mounting bracket is lined up the same way as the Asus and Biostar motherboards, technically the GeminII will mount to any AM2 motherboard.

Here is a motherboard where the GeminII will not work as it'll block the first PCIe slot.

1313116304hv2gw4.jpg

Notice the orientation of the CPU socket when compared to the board below.

1313102204qm3ki0.jpg

Iverieli    0

Thats interesting, I've never really observed that detail.

So are you saying that the GeminII will fit the Asus nForce 570 Ultra AM2?