Sign in to follow this  
sukhbinder

Rifle Bearing?

sukhbinder    0

I just installed a coolermaster CPU cooler for my P4 Northwood 2.8GHz processor. the packaging mentioned that it used rifle bearings. what is a rifle bearing? can any one help me with this.

sushrukh    0

Hai, Mr Sukhbinder.Glad to see another man from my country.

To your question,

Rifle bearing fan types offers a number of advantages against ball bearings and sleeve bearings fans.Rifle Bearing and Ball Bearing both have a life expectance of about 50,000 hours. Sleeve bearing has a life expectance of over 20-30,000 hours.

Most people will know that Ball Bearing is noisier than Sleeve Bearing, Rifle Bearings offers the life span of ball bearings and the silent operation of Sleeve bearings. So rifle bearing provides the best noise and the best life span. It's the best from both worlds

Zenphic    0

I have a few CM 80mm rifle bearing that have been running for 2 years now and they work very well. It's too bad nowadays we don't see many fans built with rifle bearing anymore. Most CM fans that used to be rifle bearing are now sleeve bearing. I'm guessing they're less expensive to produce or something. :(

nuke072786    0

Haha, always got to keep prices down! Rifle bearings are also superior because it has the word "Rifle" in it, and guns are just out right sweet, haha.

Theidaz    0
Haha, always got to keep prices down! Rifle bearings are also superior because it has the word "Rifle" in it, and guns are just out right sweet, haha.

Doesn't that mean the fan is uber loud? Like BANG BANG *reload noise* BANG! :P

nuke072786    0

No no, it's more or less an added bonus, a value you don't with with other fans, it's like having your own real life gun running in the background of your pc room. This could be a good marketing route for coolermaster, lol.

sukhbinder    0

thanks guys for the info, but some pictorial description would be more helpful in understanding the rifle bearing

You could take apart one of your fans to give you an idea.

knud    124

A small addition:

Price:

[cheap]Sleeve < Rifle < Ball(One) < Ball(Two)[expensive]

Life expectancy:

Sleeve < Rifle = Ball(One) < Ball(Two)

30000hrs - 40000~50000hrs - 50000~70000hrs