Sign in to follow this  
Fireheart

Another Product For Consideration

Fireheart    0

[edit] Copied from a previous Case Design Discussion thread [/edit]

My idea is less of a Case design, than an accessory that could be installed in any case. How about a 'hard-drive power-strip'? Not completely unlike the one behind my desk, with all of my computer stuff plugged into it...

Those TT people have a similar item, but they've (typically) made their solution much too complicated. It's power-supply specific, takes up a drive-bay, and doesn't really reduce the cable-clutter by much.

I faked up an image that shows what I have in mind:

insidecasewpower7xm.jpg

Basically, it's just a strip, housing 4-pin power-jacks. You plug drive power cables from your power-supply into one end and then use short (sleeved) jumper cables from the power-strip to the drive itself. It might be especially nice if the strip conditioned/managed the power, so that each unit plugged into it got the appropriate amount, but that may be overkill.

Clearly, large multi-drive towers, like the Stackers would benefit most from this item, but smaller towers could use it, too. Perhaps the device should be available in 3 or 4-socket units, that could be daisy-chained for larger cases? So many possibilities.

That's my idea.

Be Well!

Fireheart

ID    0

It's a nice idea, but I prefer to conceal my PSU cables, either inside a 5 1/4" bay or behind the mobo tray. :wink:

How about a mobo tray with slots for cables to run behind and a power-strip at the back of the tray (or behind it) for stealth wiring?

Fireheart    0

Actually, looking at Most of the cases around, there's not really a place to put the 'power strip' between the Motherboard/tray and the drive-bays - Not like it is in my picture. The best alternative (and probably the best plan, anyway) is to tuck the 'power strip' Behind the drive-bays... However, I couldn't see a way of making a useful image of that.

So, you are quite right, behind the drive-bays is the place for it. I don't think that behind the motherboard/tray is a good place for it, since the wires would have to cross the space between. However, they'd neatly loop out from behind the drive-bay tower.

Be Well!

Fireheart

ID    0
I don't think that behind the motherboard/tray is a good place for it, since the wires would have to cross the space between. However, they'd neatly loop out from behind the drive-bay tower.

That's where the slots or holes in the tray come in. You can feed the wires through them and out back so the wiring looks nice and clean. But now I'm also thinking that there wouldn't be a purpose for a power-strip back there with this feature included, since there's little distance from the PSU to the back of the tray. A power-strip located closer to the drive bays and harddrives would be much more useful.

The cool thing is, all of these ideas are relatively easy to mod. I'm definitely taking notes. :D