Sign in to follow this  
Fireheart

An Accessory I'd like

ID    0

BUMP.

This is an excellent product idea which I would definitely be interested in seeing from CM. Sure there are plenty of nice LCD controllers on the market, like the Matrix Orbital, but they're all internal and take up space in the 5.25" bays. An external controller would be fantastic. There's a lot you can do with something like that - besides PC stats you could include options like e-mail and msn notification, an equalizer-type volume display, and audio-video controls. You could even include a remote. CM is already offering IR receivers and displays for their line of media products so I don't think this type of device is far-fetched at all.

This is a bit of a stretch, but a product like the one we're talking about reminds me a little of the external audio controller Logitech includes with their 5.1 speaker package: Link.

It's a rough comparison but you get the idea. Add a larger display with more controls and options and you've got a solid piece of hardware.

Fireheart    0

Here's a USB external screen...

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20061031 ... s-desktop/

But it's a bit large for what I had in mind. I'm thinking a 3x4 inch LCD and the housing wouldn't be much larger... On the other hand, I do like the Logitech controller that ID mentioned:

5676.jpg

Actually, that might be another product - a small-ish, Nicely made, non-cheesy-plastic sound/volume control-pod... Not unlike one from Creative:

10735_feature2_1_1_61.jpg

Be Well!

Fireheart

chstamos    0

A programmable external LCD display -similar to the "ScreenDuo" found with Asus Premium Vista motherboards- would probably create a lot of buzz in the market, if priced right. I believe it was the unrealistic price premium (pun unintended) and Vista exclusivity that shot down Asus's chances for mass market success with their take on this kind of gadget.

Fireheart    0

This ScreenDuo unit is kinda cool, and it's feature-laden, but I don't want to have to use Vista, in order to benefit from the device. techreport.com gives a nice overview of its functions.

I hadn't thought of the myriad things that could be sent to such a screen/device and I'm sure there are lots more, but most critical, in my view, would be System Temperature/Performance information (and controls) and perhaps the Windows Task Manager. What about just a custom MMC module/repeater? That could give nearly ultimate control over many of the computer's functions.

I admit, I do like the idea of having the display/control from my Music Player on a separate screen, so I don't have to pause my Game, just to change CDs, but I'd want it to work regardless of which player I choose. It could also be great for displaying IM or chatroom scroll, but, again, I'd want it to work regardless of which IM program I'm using.

Anyway, I still consider this a great product idea, it just hasn't been deployed in an easily adoptable format, yet. Tying it to a motherboard, keyboard, or other peripheral is too limiting, it restricts the potential market. A 'universal' device has a much better chance of being widely adopted.

Be Well!

Fireheart