Sign in to follow this  
bdbd3t4

I'm thinking about swapping to Wavemaster and Water Cooling

Fireheart    0
I would not recommend using those two at all. I know, I've tried. The Mini rad won't fit in the top fan area, and if you install it in the back you'll kill what little airflow the WaveMaster already has. That fact alone makes the case a good candidate for watercooling, but you'd want to do it with an external kit, or you could modify the case itself.

Besides, the Mini isn't particularly powerful and you can't refill it...

I didn't know that about the Mini, InfectiousDust. What's the argument against the Aquagate Viva, then? It should fit, but is it underpowered?

I think you'd have better luck with an external kit, like the Resorator from Zalman.

The C/Net link, above, shows an external WC installation, I think it's the Zalman, in fact.

Alternately, a good kit like the SwiftTech H2O-220 Apex Ultra as found at http://www.swiftnets.com/ can be mounted with the radiator attached to the Back of the case. It can also be expanded to include the GPU - it has plenty of cooling power.

Or, perhaps one could do some more serious modding on the Wavemaster and install the Rad in the Top? Like the first picture from that linked project.

78_bracket_26.jpg

That's another way to get it all inside.

Be Well!

Fireheart

bdbd3t4    0

Of course, you might not Really need to water cool - Unless you're planning on taking your computer into a sauna, or Overclocking, a high-end air cooler does the trick just fine.

I

Fireheart

The sauna reference is interesting ... my computer room is 13' by 15' so when my computers and tv are on the temperture in the room rises about 10 degrees. The noise from the fans is LOUD! No two ways about it. This is one of my considerations regarding going to a Water Solution.

To be honest. I'm not 100% sold on liquid inside a box, something to do with Murphy's Law of which I'm very well versed in.

I quess I'll have to research failure issues if I do go this way. BTW what about the Aquagate Duo Viva?

I'm thinking of upgrading to a all Intel rig with dual Crossfire cards. Would a high end air solution be quiet and cool enough? I think it would be cheaper no doubt.

Fireheart    0

Well, Anandtech has reviews of many new Air coolers, including Coolermaster's - This is their latest. It seems that the Fans can also make a big difference, CFM and dB matter.

I don't have experience with the Aquagate Viva, so I can really answer. However, here's a great review from a reliable source - 3DGameMan

He points out that the Aquagate won't perform as powerfully as the more expensive kits - which is obvious, but so what. The Aquagate is simpler and easier to install, as well.

As for your room getting hot - bear in mind, watercooling, or aircooling they both are designed to remove heat from your computer and pump it out into the atmosphere. They depend on the differential between ambient air temps and those in your circuitry. Consider ways of removing heat from the room, as well, or neither form of cooling will function well.

Be Well!

Fireheart

merovingian    0
Would a high end air solution be quiet and cool enough? I think it would be cheaper no doubt.

Pleanty quiet and plenty cool with the right aftermarket air cooling devices. See http://www.silentpcreview.com/ for more details.

I mounted the triple 120mm fan radiator right in front of the AC vent for the coolest air possible. The setup is otherwise about as powerful as you can have it unless you go with larger 1/2" tubing which I would be willing to debate anybody that it won't make a measurable difference. Fact is that it was very quiet, the fans for the radiator are behind the desk and turned all the way down. As a result of the water taking most of the heat out of the case for me, I was then able to turn the case fans down to silent and still have a plenty of cooling.

Overclocking gains seemed crazy at first but after measuring them against the aftermarket air cooler I realized that it was just a really good chip. Certainly less than 50Mhz difference even with the voltage turned way up.

On the plus side, the watercooling was not only as quiet as possible but the one time investment of $500 can be used again and again throughout your various builds over the years.

ID    0
I would not recommend using those two at all. I know, I've tried. The Mini rad won't fit in the top fan area, and if you install it in the back you'll kill what little airflow the WaveMaster already has. That fact alone makes the case a good candidate for watercooling, but you'd want to do it with an external kit, or you could modify the case itself.

Besides, the Mini isn't particularly powerful and you can't refill it...

I didn't know that about the Mini, InfectiousDust. What's the argument against the Aquagate Viva, then? It should fit, but is it underpowered?

I have no experience with the Viva so I couldn't tell you. It seems like a better option than the Mini inside a WaveMaster, though you would need to do a bit of work on your case to accomodate it. It would be fine as a stock cooler replacement but I wouldn't use it for overclocking. I'll leave it to the 3DGameMan to explain... :wink:

The CoolIT Freezone is one cooling system that I've been eyeing for awhile. The price is a little steep but the performance is said be nothing short of amazing.

knud    129

Aquagate CoolViva is really for GPU cooling. For CPU cooling it's not really recommended. For CPU I would use a GeminII, better than standard water cooling 8)

@ID, TEC cooling, nice. But expensive.

ID    0
For CPU I would use a GeminII, better than standard water cooling 8)

Will that thing actually fit inside a WaveMaster??

Fireheart    0

Good God, what a Beast! I'd forgotten about that thing. Gemini II

The only problem I have with Air cooling is that it doesn't actually remove heat from the case. So, you must have excellent air exchange Through the case, as well, meaning more fans...

Be Well!

Fireheart

knud    129
For CPU I would use a GeminII, better than standard water cooling 8)

Will that thing actually fit inside a WaveMaster??

I've asked our engineers and when they have the answer, I'll let you guys know. I only have a compatibility list of the latest chassis.

edit: Already got the answer and it fits! So you can mount a GeminII into a wavemaster

Good God, what a Beast! I'd forgotten about that thing. Gemini II

The only problem I have with Air cooling is that it doesn't actually remove heat from the case. So, you must have excellent air exchange Through the case, as well, meaning more fans...

Be Well!

Fireheart

With a stacker STC-T01 that would be no problem :P

But yes, you'll need a good airflow, but then again, this is no simple aftermarket replacement cooler.