Sign in to follow this  
scavenger

S939 motherboard --> STC-TO1 - Recommendations?

scavenger    0

I was thinking of buying a Socket 939 motherboard (considering Opteron 146 or 150) for my Stacker STC-TO1 and I thought I'd inquire a bit first...

So can anyone say whether I should beware of certain models, that might be problematic with the case in question? I don't play games, so any decent enough graphics card will do just fine. I will install two power supplies, since I will have three 4 in 3 modules worth of hard drives with RAID (+floppy & optical drive).

There should be plenty of room in the case regardless of which motherboard I choose, but the layout might be less optimal in some boards.

knud    129

If you want an opteron (s939) running, I'd go for a DFI lan party board.

Asus (high-end) boards support the opteron too, but they don't put in on the box. An email to asus would be wise.

Maybe go for a opteron 165 (2x1.8ghz) or 170 (2x2.0ghz), 175 (2x2.2 ghz) or 180 (2x2.4 ghz)

And if you have some extra money, the opty 185 (2x2.6 ghz). The lowest price here for the 165 is 139 euro and for the 185 it's 310 euro.

scavenger    0
If you want an opteron (s939) running, I'd go for a DFI lan party board.

I've looked at them and they look nice, except that they don't have too many standard PCI slots... and what's this I hear about Kingston's RAM & DFI boards not being a good combination?

I could get e.g. a DFI LanParty UT RDX200CF-DR for under a hundred euros, but it's not exactly a server type of board, although it's got 8 SATA connectors and a built-in "RAID" -- but the maximum amount of RAM is a pathetic 2 GB.

And I'd be mostly using UNIX, so I have to check the hardware support carefully. So far I've had relatively few issues. The main problems have been 3G cards w/HSDPA and those bloody ATi gfx cards.

Maybe go for a opteron 165 (2x1.8ghz) or 170 (2x2.0ghz), 175 (2x2.2 ghz) or 180 (2x2.4 ghz)

And if you have some extra money, the opty 185 (2x2.6 ghz). The lowest price here for the 165 is 139 euro and for the 185 it's 310 euro.

I'll get the best I can afford, but building a 12 disk RAID kinda tightens the budget... But at least I got the best case available (in my opinion): the STC-TO1 with three 4-in-3 device modules and a crossflow fan!

In case I do have 'some' spare money, I might consider the FX-62 or even a dual FX-74 setup. I want to build a system worthy of the case, but without too much 'bling bling' and only occasionally leaning towards overkill in the hardware department.

My system has to be failsafe: redundant power (2 power supplies + ups) and data safety, although the three sets of 4 disk stripes, with a total of 12 disks in a RAID 0+1 just might be serious overkill (and frickin' expensive as well!). If I win the lottery I might get 12 1TB SATAII disks. :)

I couldn't care less about the graphics card as long as it works, is widely supported in the OS world, and looks nice with a 20 - 21" monitor with an above average resolution.

merovingian    0

Why not go with an cheap intel core2duo? With a little OC skill, that processor with 2GB of ram will provide top of the line performance at a cheap price with the right motherboard.

knud    129

What mobo would you suggest then?

@scavenger, If you go for a DFI mobo, why choose kingston? You also can go for Corsair or OCZ. The choice is yours.

The new FX series (70-72-74) aren't that expensive. I've heard that the FX-70 will cost around 350-400 for a set (2 cpu's). But that's a rumor I'm afraid.

ID    0

Technically DFI doesn't support Opteron processors, or at least that's what I was told when I bought a DFI mobo and Opty. So far they've been working beautifully. If you're looking at doing some overclocking or a lot of BIOS tweaking, DFI is the way to go. Otherwise I would say spend some money on a less expensive board and concentrate on other hardware, but I have nothing bad to say about DFI if you're leaning that way.

The FX-62 isn't too bad, though my overclocked Opty 165 edges it out in the performance department. Maybe something to consider if you can get a 165 with the correct steppings... :wink:

merovingian    0
What mobo would you suggest then?

I hate recommending asus boards cause they seems so unreliable. I know the Asus P5B-Deluxe is a very solid overclocker board with plenty of features. Beyond that, I'm sure you can find a good overclocking board for cheaper.

knud    129

MSI motherboards are pretty good for OC'ing. And cheaper than the Asus' ones.

scavenger    0
Why not go with an cheap intel core2duo?

Because I'm an AMD man.

@scavenger, If you go for a DFI mobo, why choose kingston?

Because every DDR module I own is made by Kingston. :) I've got dozens of various SDRAM modules (32,64,128,256,512), though, but I'll use them to build a bunch of OpenBSD firewalls, routers, servers etc. (I also have dozens of old motherboards and <1GHz processors). What else would one do with 100 and 133 MHz RAM?

You also can go for Corsair or OCZ. The choice is yours.

I could go for whatever is on the market, if I only have the money, but I'd have to sell the ones I have and buy something else, since I need every cent to build the system(s) I'm currently working on.

The new FX series (70-72-74) aren't that expensive. I've heard that the FX-70 will cost around 350-400 for a set (2 cpu's). But that's a rumor I'm afraid.

I've read a review of an AMD Quad-FX setup compared to an Intel one of comparable computational power (don't remember what the exact Intel setup was), and the only real difference was that the AMD setup used twice the amount of power!

But I'm still an AMD man. :)

Technically DFI doesn't support Opteron processors, or at least that's what I was told when I bought a DFI mobo and Opty. So far they've been working beautifully.

Then 'what me worry', eh?

If you're looking at doing some overclocking or a lot of BIOS tweaking, DFI is the way to go.

What exactly do you mean by 'if'? :lol:

The FX-62 isn't too bad, though my overclocked Opty 165 edges it out in the performance department. Maybe something to consider if you can get a 165 with the correct steppings... :wink:

Perhaps, then, I'll settle for the size of my member and not go for the macho-FX. Athough I must say, that the AMD Opteron always sounded hardcore.

But from whence has reason had anything to do with choosing components? Exactly.

ID    0
Technically DFI doesn't support Opteron processors, or at least that's what I was told when I bought a DFI mobo and Opty. So far they've been working beautifully.

Then 'what me worry', eh?

Well there could be a warantee issue if you're using a CPU which your motherboard company hasn't recommended. Many people have paired Opterons with DFI mobos with great success, but I suppose it's something to consider.

If you're looking at doing some overclocking or a lot of BIOS tweaking, DFI is the way to go.

What exactly do you mean by 'if'? :lol:

Haha fair enough. Not everyone is in to overclocking though, and you didn't mention it earlier so I couldn't be sure.

Perhaps, then, I'll settle for the size of my member and not go for the macho-FX. Athough I must say, that the AMD Opteron always sounded hardcore.

But from whence has reason had anything to do with choosing components? Exactly.

Not sure what you mean... reason has everything to do with buying a cheaper Opteron and overclocking the he|| out of it. When I bought my 165 over a year ago it cost me CDN $300. With a little overclocking I exceeding the stock speed of an FX-62 that cost nearly $1000 at the time. Now if that isn't a use of human reason I don't know what is. :wink:

I had to hunt around quite a bit for a particular stepping for the 165, because not all are built the same and some 165's overclock much further than others. Availability has now become a problem with these CPUs though. AMD realized what people were doing and started clamping down on the amount being released for purchase.

The Opteron is pretty hardcore for sure. They're server-grade CPUs that undergo a much more thorough quality inspection from AMD than their other processors. I have nothing but love for my Opteron. I wouldn't completely ignore Intel though, especially right now. AMD man or not, Intel seems to have a slight edge on AMD at present, but of course that could change. Don't get caught up in brand loyalty, it's always wiser to keep all your options open.