Sign in to follow this  
scavenger

Dust filter for the bottom mesh in CMStacker STC-TO1

scavenger    0

What (in your opinion) is the simplest and most effective solution?

I was thinking of cutting a piece of mesh the same size as the existing one (though somewhat less restrictive) and mounting this flat mesh beneath the old one with the same screws, thus leaving space for a filter in between. The filter would be of the type used in the drive bay 'covers'.

I collect vintage computers as a hobby and believe me when I say I've seen _dusty_ cases. :) I like to keep my Stacker tidy and occasionally clean the filters instead of the entire case and everything in it.

Any other thoughts on Stacker-cleanliness in general?

ID    0

A once over with a can of compressed air every couple of weeks is all you really need. I don't use dust filters simply because they inhibit airflow.

I also bought a better air filter for my furnace. :wink:

EsaT    0
I don't use dust filters simply because they inhibit airflow.
But dust in heatsinks surely inhibits cooling.

ID    0

Uhh yeah, that's where the can of compressed air comes into use.

scavenger    0

I use a compressor (7.0 bar / 100 psi) instead. Much more ecological than using disposable cans. And a h*ll of a lot more efficient.

Tights/stockings are supposed to work wonders for optimum air flow with minimal dust

Might be :lol: -- but that's hardly professinoal, now is it? And how restrictive can a filter like the ones in the drive bay covers be? Using similar material in the bottom of the case would hardly be too much for the army of fans in the Stacker. I've got three 4 in 3 modules w/120mm fan each and the optional (I'd say mandatory, but that's just me :) ) 80 mm side panel fan + two 80 mm fans (until I install another psu).

EsaT    0

I use a compressor (7.0 bar / 100 psi) instead. Much more ecological than using disposable cans. And a h*ll of a lot more efficient.

And about only method for loosening well embedded dust completely. "Canned" air isn't really enough for that.
Using similar material in the bottom of the case would hardly be too much for the army of fans in the Stacker. I've got three 4 in 3 modules w/120mm fan each and the optional (I'd say mandatory, but that's just me :) ) 80 mm side panel fan + two 80 mm fans (until I install another psu).
Unless case is full of most heat producing components available there's no need to worry that dust filters would decrease cooling too much, at least if you use fans provided with HD modules and case.

I've myself blocked side panel's and bottom's grills with sound absorbtion mat and use low speed fan's in two (can't fit more) HD modules with this kind dust filter.

(front in/back out airflow gives best overall cooling for least amount of fans/noise)

lozza    1
Might be :lol: -- but that's hardly professinoal, now is it?

You didn't ask for professional you asked for

What (in your opinion) is the simplest and most effective solution?

It's simple and effective so i'm told

And how restrictive can a filter like the ones in the drive bay covers be? Using similar material in the bottom of the case would hardly be too much for the army of fans in the Stacker. I've got three 4 in 3 modules w/120mm fan each and the optional (I'd say mandatory, but that's just me :) ) 80 mm side panel fan + two 80 mm fans (until I install another psu).

Sounds like you have made up your mind anyway

scavenger    0

Yeah, well I've made up my mind about one thing: everything in my Stacker should be somewhat professional. And that is simply because I think there is little sense in buying a professional case and going unprofessional with the rest of the system.

But I also think it is a good idea to build stuff yourself, if you have the skill, tools & materials required. Plus there is the additional 'benefit' of not having a mass product.

I know some of my custom stuff occasionally falls into the category of serious overkill once I get started, but there is nothing wrong with that, now is there? So I just might add some more fans and use a dust filter in every possible place, but having twice the amount of fans running at half the speed is silent and effective.