Sign in to follow this  
Boddaker

Battlestar Galactica Mod: Complete!

Boddaker    15
So, you will be replacing the Mesh sides, Boddaker? Unless you do so, I have a feeling that whether the 'engines' are intake or exhaust will be all but immaterial.

Yes, the mesh sides will be replaced with armor plating and other details. I might make the lower two engines intakes, and the upper ones exhaust. But I'll figure that out when I get there. :wink:

Boddaker    15

So I actually managed to start on this today! :D Been doing most of the work on paper, trying to figure out the best way to build it,

especially the top landing bay, as it will be the most complex and detailed part of the case.

So what's the first thing that you gotta do when starting any case mod?

That's right- Disassemble the donor case!

Stacker1_sm.jpg

After taking some measurements, I set off to what's left of my garage to cut a pattern for the foam out of 1/8" fiber board.

LB1_sm.jpg

I made up a simple jig with a piece of alum flat bar. Traced my curved lines on both sides so they are symmetrical,

LB2_sm.jpg

And cut out the pattern.

LB3_sm.jpg

Set it on the case for fit,

LB4_sm.jpg

And proceeded to cut the foam using the pattern and a long bladed knife.

LB5_sm.jpg

Cut two pieces. These will be glued together, and glued onto the fiber board as well.

LB6_sm.jpg

Sorry, that's all I got done tonight. But at least I started! After gluing, I will commence the cutting, shaving, trimming, and slicing

of the foam to the landing bay shape. Once the basic shape is attained, then I can coat it with resin or fiberglass. Although I have been eyeballing this stuff called Plasti-Paste by Smooth-On. It's a trowelable fiber resin that cures into a durable plastic in just 90 minutes. It would be ideal for making up the landing bay top, and all those ribs too. I would just have to work in sections, what with its 10 minute pot life and all. :wink:

8)

Fireheart    0

Rats! I was imagining you drilling and tapping about a million tiny screws into metal ribs, like you did with Mystique^2. :shock:

Anyway, in that case, you could easily add enough clearance to stash a major cooling system in the top of the case.

Have Fun!

Fireheart

Mpovh    0

Hey man, good case !!

and congratulations for win the cm contest 2006 :lol:

Boddaker    15
Hey man, good case !!

and congratulations for win the cm contest 2006 :lol:

Thanks! :D

I hope to get some more work done on this over the weekend. It's been a busy week, so I haven't had the chance to do much. I'd like to get the basic shape carved out so I can begin the coating process.

Mpovh    0

ok,

I am waiting ehehe, you go to participate of the cm contest of this year?

look my project to later ^^, would like ideas its

Boddaker    15

Well, we'll see how long this takes me to complete. It may not be done by the next mod competition. This is one mod I don't want to rush for the sole purpose of entering a contest.

I did manage to shape the foam, and form the first layer over the weekend. My Plasti-Paste came in on Friday, so I gave it a go. Really neat stuff, kinda reminds me of "Kitty Hair" fiberglass filler. It has a fiber reinforcement that enables it to stay put and not sag. I will post some pics either tonight or tomorrow.

8)

Boddaker    15

I hate it when work gets in the way of modding! :x

Well, I didn't get as much done as I had hoped this week, but I will post up what I did get done last weekend. I plan to get more done tomorrow to make up for it though. :)

Anyway, here are the carving pics. Snagging the electric turkey carver from the kitchen (shhh- dont tell Mrs. Boddaker! lol),

I started shaving the foam down to the landing bay shape.

LB7_sm.jpg

LB8_sm.jpg

Then I took the drywall sander and rounded the sides smooth. And yes, I was wearing a respirator the whole time.

LB9_sm.jpg

Then I hacked off the ends, and marked the eventual openings.

LB10_sm.jpg

LB11_sm.jpg

Since that Plasti-Paste has just a 10minute pot life (length of time you have to work with the stuff before it sets up),

I cordoned off sections with strips of cardboard held in with brads.

LB12_sm.jpg

The Plasti-Paste comes in two containers: One with the fiber reinforced paste, the other a liquid. Mix the two at a 3:1 ratio respectively.

LB13_sm.jpg

I mis-judged the amount slightly for my first section, and had a bit left over. So I spread what was left over the other half.

You can almost watch the stuff set up. It changes color from the dark brown paste to the light yellow plastic within minutes.

LB14_sm.jpg

Here you can really see the color difference between the first hardened section and the one I just laid down.

LB15_sm.jpg

Completely cured and ready to sand smooth. I actually messed up and forgot to smooth it out more before it set up.

Now I have more sanding work to do. :x

LB16_sm.jpg

Also because I didn't smooth it out adequately enough prior to it setting up, there are numerous divots that I will have

to fill in as well. I might just bring out the bondo for that, since the plastic is so hard to sand.

I plan to finish this layer tomorrow so I can move on to the fun part - the ribs!

8)

Boddaker    15

Made decent progress today. :)

Got the whole thing sanded down pretty well with the drill and sanding discs, followed by the orbital.

LB17_sm.jpg

Then I layed on a skin coat of bondo to fill in the low spots, and sanded that smooth. You can really see how uneven it was.

LB18_sm.jpg

Lastly, I filled in the tiny air holes with the glazing putty.

LB19_sm.jpg

Since this is the bottom layer and will be topped with all those ribs, it doesn't have to be sanded down perfectly smooth.

My main goal was to get these pronounced lines on each end.

LB20_sm.jpg

Sprayed a light coat of primer on to get a uniform color.

LB21_sm.jpg

And demolded the piece. I was careful not to ruin the foam because I still need it.

LB22_sm.jpg

Shot of the underside. Funny, it actually transferred my markings from the foam to the plastic!

LB23_sm.jpg

Here I started marking out the ribs. I figure one rib every 1/2" looks about right.

LB24_sm.jpg

Here I am forming the side skirts of the landing bay. These will attach under the overhangs on each side of the bay.

The ribs will continue from the top , over the edge and onto these pieces. You'll see what I mean a bit later.

LB25_sm.jpg

All in all a productive day. Happy Easter everyone! :D