Sign in to follow this  
Boddaker

Battlestar Galactica Mod: Complete!

Boddaker    15

BSG_title.jpg

Time to start on my next project! :D

This is going to be a mod based on the SciFi series, "Battlestar Galactica." I plan to take my recently won CM Stacker 830

and convert it into the Galactica. I'm still in the design and conceptual phase, and I hope to get it drawn up in Sketchup soon.

I will post more detailed pics at that time.

I think this will be a fun one to do! I really enjoy the new BSG TV series, and it has many elements I can draw from for ideas.

And this case will be a huge canvas upon which to work, so there will be plenty of real estate to work with.

Not really sure how I will be able to work on this once my garage gets torn down, but I will figure something

out when the time comes. I'm just itchin' to start something new! :D

8)

asgneto    0

Boddaker, great choice for mod theme...

I'm a big fan of Battlestar Galactica and be waiting for updates.

Fireheart    0

I can definitely envision those ribs and curves superimposed on the 830! Or, at least the top of the case.

I can see flip-up panels/doors, with power/reset buttons and front-panel sockets hidden under them. Even a pop-up t-handle or two for easy carrying. Something about the shape says 'cooling fins', too, perhaps for a water-cooling rig.

Not sure about how/where the engine nacelles come into it, though, that might be tricky.

Ooo, uh, chromed like Snakez's project, you could make a wicked Cylon helmet out of an 830...

I can't wait to see what you do with it, Boddaker!

Be Well!

Fireheart

Boddaker    15

Thanks guys, and good ideas there Fireheart. That's right along the lines of what I was thinking as well. I can't wait to start on it myself. Been pre-occupied with getting Mystique ready to roll for PDXLAN this weekend. I hope to get some updates for ya soon after. 8)

Fireheart    0

Looking at the Galactica, I find myself wondering about the color/surface of the mod. I wonder if you can get powdercoat in that matte 'battleship grey' color, or if you will have to paint it... She's a warship, she shines from the spirit of her crew, not a polished hull.

Just thinking about things at random.

Be Well!

Fireheart

Boddaker    15

Ok, some long-awaited pics. :D I messed around in Sketchup, and after many, many long late-night hours I came up with

a VERY rough mockup of what I'm planning for this Stacker case. I tried to retain alot of the original lines of the case,

so you could look at it and know this used to be a Stacker 830. Its lines match up so well with the Galactica, I think it adds

to the overall look (not to mention makes my job a lot easier!). So without further ado, here are the pics! (yeah, like you actually

read this whole thing before looking at them :P )

Concept1.jpg

Concept2.jpg

Concept3.jpg

The top of the case will have the launch bay running through it from front to back, and the landing strip will be lit up on the inside.

The front will sport a 7" lcd monitor (A Boddaker first!), and the BSG insignia below it. I have special plans for that, and you

will have to wait and see (couldn't divulge all my plans first off, that just wouldn't be much fun :P )

The sides will have vertical ribbing to match the top launch bay, with the centers being the armor plating. (retaining the stacker's

side vent shape). There will be four engines, two on each side that will function as either fresh air intake, or exhaust. Haven't

decided yet. I apologize for the crudeness of the engines. Sketchup was not willing to cooperate with me when trying to create

complex curves (as evidenced from the top launch bay). So I cheated a bit and stole the engines off of an existing Galactica

model I found in Google's 3D Warehouse. But I think you get the idea.

I'm still hammering out the details, and don't have a clue what I will do with all that room on the inside. I do know that I am

going all out and doing a full-on watercooling setup! :D (Another Boddaker first) So all you l337 WC gurus be prepared

to answer a ton of questions!

So there ya go. As always I welcome all your comments and criticisms. I am now off to watch more BSG episodes (got all of season 2 the other day :) )

8)

Fireheart    0
The sides will have vertical ribbing to match the top launch bay, with the centers being the armor plating. (retaining the stacker's side vent shape). There will be four engines, two on each side that will function as either fresh air intake, or exhaust.

So, you will be replacing the Mesh sides, Boddaker? Unless you do so, I have a feeling that whether the 'engines' are intake or exhaust will be all but immaterial.

I always thought that the best place to put the radiator of a water-cooling system in the 830 would be the side fan-bracket... Actually, I always suspected that it would be necessary to fabricate a custom hanger/bracket for that. However, other obvious locations would be the back-panel fan-port (for a small rad) and the top blow-hole, although that might interfere with your 'launch bay'. Hmmm, but if there Did happen to be fans blowing hot air up into that space, you could 'launch' tiny paper models with the air-stream...

Be Well!

Fireheart