Sign in to follow this  
esturn

eXtreme Power 600W Fried?

esturn    0

I turned on my PC today after I got home from running errands, and smelled smoke. Come to find out, my SATA hard-drive got fried where the power cable connected to the HD, the power cable end actually melted, and it melted the HD where you plug the power cable into it.

What could've caused this? The PC worked fine that same morning, and hadn't been turned on until I got home.

I guess it's pretty guarenteed that I've lost everything on the HD, is there any way to save it? It's got years of data on it that I'd backed up from other drives.

Also, how do I know if it's the PSU that fried the HD, or the HD that fried the PSU connector?

EsaT    0

Now that's why important data has to be also backupped to some removable media instead of second HD.

If it was caused by PSU then there's propably damages in other components.

It's hard to believe HD could cause such thing. Maybe spindle/platter assembly being jammed could cause motor to draw enough power for heating connector but even that shouldn't be so much.

Do you see this kind burned traces on PCB?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/mishaps/damagedBoards/pages/burnttrace.htm

One thing which would surely cause total melting of connector is misaligned, loose connector but connector should be designed to prevent that.

esturn    0

No, the only burnt part I could see is where the smoke was coming out itself, right at the power connector on the hard drive. It's a SATA connector, and where that connected to the HD both the SATA power cable from the PSU was melted, and the HD power port was also melted.

Also, a fair bit of smoke came out at the time, right from that spot.

zerospace    0

If I were you, I'd be trying to check my other components as well. Does your SATA drive have a regular molex power plug at all?

I agree also, with the statement above about backing up data elsewhere. I have mine stored in multiple places in the event of an HD failure.