Sign in to follow this  
Dakon

Real Power Pro 850w cold boot issue

Maelphaedor    0
3 months too late. Next time try some quality control before production as this is an obvious flaw with the product.

While a little harsher that I would have put it, I have to essentially agree.

These aren't "El Cheap-O" power supplies. These are 200 dollar or more "premium" power supplies.

If this was a 50 buck OEM crap, I wouldn't care, you get what you pay for generally in the computer world. Lots of us did NOT get what we paid for, and that's the problem.

And while I've replaced my unit, good luck to those of you that decide to RMA and try a replacement.

Merlins1    0
Dear All,

The cold boot issue has been fixed already. The problem was with the 3.3v. This voltage was dropping to 2.4v at boot up and the power supplie's safety feature was preventing it from starting up. After many tests they determined that the voltage drop in the 3.3v was indeed the cause of the cold boot issue. What are engineers did was, create a dummy load to keep that voltage from dropping. Now at a cold boot the 3.3v stays at its normal range and doesnt drop to 2.4v. We should be receiving the fixed units from our head quarters soon, and once we do we let you guys know so that you can get your power supplies replaced.

What will be the process to receive the replacement??

And do you have an est. on how much longer??

Thanks

jimmiejoe    0

I am also experiencing the same problem. No cold boot, but restarts without issue.

However, if you force shutdown several time you can get it to boot without unpluging it.

I have the following hardware:

Tyan S2895

2X AMD Opteron 252

4X 1GB Registered DDR400

ATI X850 Crossfire Edition

3Ware 9560SE-8PML (8port SATA RAID)

8X Seagate 7200.8 400GB HD

1X Raptor WD740 system HD

CoolMaster Stacker case

CoolMaster 850 SLI PSU

2X AMD PIB heatsinks

3X 4in3 modules

8X HD in 2 lower 4in3 modules

1X HD in top of top 4in3 module

OS Win2K3 SP1 SBS Standard

Lazyboy_DK    0

I also got the problem: "Cold Boot" and did send a note to Coolermaster Tech. Support........ But no respond !!!!! Yet !

The problem with the PSU seems to be solved, but.....

How is it possible to look up the new Ver. at the lokal hardwarePusher ?

My system.....

wkf    0

I have exactly the same problem. I live in the Netherlands but ordered the PSU in Germany because it is almost impossible to get hold off in the Netherlands.

I just sent off email to Cooler Master support in the Netherlands and Germany to ask about an RMA and (preferable) an exchange.

No reaction yet...

Maelphaedor    0

You'll have better luck getting the unit RMA'd to the vendor that sold it to you and replacing it with a unit from someone else that is not defective or has to have it's own safety features defeated to operate normally.

System power supply is the backbone of the entire computer, you can't build a system based around a flaky power supply. Despite being more advanced than they were in say, 1995, there have been very few fundamental changes to them. Literally *ANY* company making them these days should at least be able to churn out at least an average low-end one these days. This isn't a processor or video card with millions of transistors. Or an operating system with millions upon millions of lines of code. This is a fancy ac/dc converter. That's it. Just about the bigest "advance" in power supplies this decade is modular cables. That's it. This isn't rocket science! It's not "bleeding-edge gear" that's bound to have a few issues.

A single bad unit can happen to anyone. A single bad run, while terribly unfortunate, can be released into the wild with bad quality control. An entire LINE of a product is unacceptable and worthy of a full recall. CM should have been on top of this. The 1st post in this thread is 3 months old, and this issue still hasn't been resolved, heck, it's only recently even been IDENTIFIED publicly. Unacceptable.

But hey, it's not all doom-n-gloom, at least they make some of the best cases in the land. Love my Stacker 832, there is literally no other case you could give me to make me give it up. It's that awesome. That's why this power supply issue eats at me so much. I don't understand how a company can be so awesomly detail oriented in one area, and fail so completely in another.

Not at all impressed with CM's power supplies, very impressed with their pc cases. At least there's balance. :D

ts_123    0

Here is what the fixed 850 will look like. You will be able to identify the fixed power supplies by the 80 Plus sticker on them.

post-6771-13880421793632_thumb.jpg

post-6771-13880421794227_thumb.jpg

post-6771-13880421795717_thumb.jpg

post-6771-13880421796006_thumb.jpg

ts_123    0

Here are some pictures of the fixed sample that we received from our engineers, we tested it with the 680i chipset board with similar specs as you all have and there was no more cold boot problem.

post-6771-13880421796531_thumb.jpg

post-6771-13880421797293_thumb.jpg

post-6771-13880421798054_thumb.jpg

For those who are experiencing problems, please contact our RMA dept and get an RMA number. Once we receive the new batch, we will immediately ship them to you.

Please note that it is required for you to ship the defective PSU back to us before we could ship the new version to you. This is our RMA policy and can't be alter.

wkf    0
For those who are experiencing problems, please contact our RMA dept and get an RMA number. Once we receive the new batch, we will immediately ship them to you.

I have emailed the Dutch Cooler Masters support several days ago but haven't gotten any reaction yet. What is the expected /acceptable time for a response? Is there a phone number I can call...?