Sign in to follow this  
Dakon

Real Power Pro 850w cold boot issue

Maelphaedor    0

Yeah, thanks for the update, at least it makes us feel like we're not left out in the dark alone. :)

And don't forget, looks to me like everyone that's posted on this thread has been using an evga 680i mainboard, not an asus, get us some evga loving. :)

Oh, and Merlins1, I just uninstalled the network drivers from the control panel, as opposed to doing a fresh format, and haven't had the system reboot since my last post, been gaming and puttering around on the net for 12 hours, seemingly stable. Thanks for the info, you may have saved me hours of troubleshooting. :) It stays stable and running for 12 more hours during normal use and I can start clocking it up a bit, it's insulting to the zalman to be running at "stock" speeds on the cpu, hehe.

EsaT    0
The engineer is suspecting that the cause is because when we designed the PSU, we put a safety feature where the computer needs to require certain amount of wattage consumption on start. Asus board seems to require the least amount of wattage consumption so that's the problem with the cold boot issue. This is just speculation right now and could be the root cause.
IIRC Seasonic made Antec Neo HE's originally had lot of similar problems especially with some Asus boards.

It was supposed to be too low load problem of higher efficiency designs. Seasonic solved it by adding system which inserts artificial load which allows PSU to start even without any external load. (artificial load is disengaged when external load is enough)

whyviet    0

Just chiming in:

I have that PS with the following:

EVGA 680i

2 gb corsair 1066mhz

1x 8800 gtx

1x 10k raptor

2x 500gb seagate in raid1

1x ide pioneer dvd-r

I have the same symptom. I thought it was my computer building skills and luck but apparently this is a known problem. :)

Yes i informed them of evga board as well.

The funny thing is, one of our system integrator uses the EVGA 680i board with the real power 850 and didn't find any issue at all with the PSU. That's the main problem troubling us into solving this issue.

Thanks essat for the info.

mws547    0

I too am having the cold boot problem. Will not post fans turn on but no boot. If i disconect the power cord and let the pcu power down then reconnect the cord the system will boot up. I have no problems restarting from Windows. No other system problems.

zaroba    0

pretty much having the same problem here. just got the psu to replace my 650 watt coolmax since it wasen't strong enough for the 8800GTS i got a few weeks ago. set it up, turned it on, fans spun a bit, then the pc turned off. unplugged the psu, let it discharge, plugged it back in, same thing happens again. tried it with my GeForce 7600gs instead of the 8800. it boots up....once. then goes back to doing nothing

put BOTH the 7600gs and 8800gts in the pc, it boots up every time.

but it takes 15-20 mins to get past the winxp loading screen

my pc specs are

ECS NForce 570 Slit-a (V5.1) motherboard

Core 2 Duo E6300

1 gig ddr2

an 8x dvd-rw

a 16x dvd +/- rw

a 160gb IDE Hard Drive

3x 320gb Sata Hard Drives

ASFx    0

I am having this same exact issue as well.. it's extremely annoying. I have to unplug my real power 850 PSU then plug it back in just so i can successfully boot. I hope coolermaster can find a solution soon.

Dakon    0

Here is some info I found on this PSU (taken from the feedback on newegg for this product, please also note that the rating on this PSU has gone way down and people have begun to stay away from purchasing it):

Causes Striker Extreme to RANDOMLY POWER DOWN when using the preferred 8 Pin Power Connector. PSU has 6 12v power rails, each rated at 120W. The 12v(1) rail powers the MB 24 pin connector *AND* the same pins on the 8-pin CPU connector which are the default power pins for the CPU power ASUS Striker/P5N32SLI mobos (which support either 4-pin or 8-pin PSU connector) The 12v2 rail powers the 4-pin CPU connector and the *other* pins on the 8-pin CPU connector. 120w from 12v(1) is not enough for the primary CPU power and MB and 8800GTX, let alone 8800GTX SLI. You may have luck with only the 4-pin CPU power connector, or you may want to re-wire the 8-pin connector to get primary CPU power from 12v(2).

Other Thoughts: This is a violation of the power supply specification - and Worse it DOESN'T WORK (and is very difficult to troubleshoot): Look at the CoolerMaster manual here: It looks as if they mis-numbered the pins on the 8-pin connector as: 1 2 3 4 12v1 12v1 12v2 12v2 instead of 1 2 3 4 12v2 12v2 12v1 12v1 This spec shows that the 24-pin 12v rail *must* be discrete from the 12v rails used on the 8-pin CPU power connector:

Maelphaedor    0

Just RMA'd mine to newegg this morning, have a nice silverstone coming to replace it with. Headaches like this are just not worth it. I didn't pay a premium price for a premium powersupply to be a beta tester for it.

I'll stick with CM for my cases, but won't buy another PS from them again, even if it does get high initial marks in reviews.

EsaT    0
Here is some info I found on this PSU (taken from the feedback on newegg for this product...

Causes Striker Extreme to RANDOMLY POWER DOWN when using the preferred 8 Pin Power Connector. PSU has 6 12v power rails, each rated at 120W. The 12v(1) rail powers the MB 24 pin connector *AND* the same pins on the 8-pin CPU connector which are the default power pins for the CPU power ASUS Striker/P5N32SLI mobos (which support either 4-pin or 8-pin PSU connector) The 12v2 rail powers the 4-pin CPU connector and the *other* pins on the 8-pin CPU connector. 120w from 12v(1) is not enough for the primary CPU power and MB and 8800GTX, let alone 8800GTX SLI.

Single virtual rail is limited to 18A (216W) and PCIe spec allows 75W power draw directly from slot so actually normal PCs with single graphic card shouldn't cause problem.
pretty much having the same problem here. just got the psu to replace my 650 watt coolmax since it wasen't strong enough for the 8800GTS
650W is more than enough for 8800GTS SLI.