Sign in to follow this  
Dakon

Real Power Pro 850w cold boot issue

Merlins1    0
We have contacted our engineers and they are now aware of the issues that you guys(end-users) are currently experiencing with this power supply. They are looking into this matter as we speak and are running tests on this power supply.

Hey TS... Here is some detailed info for you:

This happens only on cold starts... rebooting not a problem. It starts to boot up to "detecting IDE drives". I have 4 drives and first 2 recognize ok... then on last two... it just pauses "says detecting IDE" (approx. 1 min.) then it goes through and looks like it's starting windows. Windows logo just sits there "indefinitely"... but there is no hd activity.

Reseting or powering off does not work (at windows logo... same thing as above happens). If when detecting IDE... you hit power switch... then it will boot up OK.

I did some searching and I've notice others with this problem too. On the other message boards they're not sure if it's MB or Video or PSU. Some just thought bad windows install but they all report similar issue.

12v issue: That 9.12v was reported by Everest but I just tried new PCwizard and it shows 14.06v. Not sure what's going on there...

Thanks for looking into this...

Merlins1    0

Hi TS...

Just did some more test... it is the Cooler Master PSU. I just swapped it out with my old 550w PSU and it boots up every time. Then swapped back to the 850w and no cold boot. The only way to get it to boot without unplugging is to shut power down (by PC switch) before detecting IDEs #3 & 4.

BIOS power levels: 3.3v is 3.26v - 3.3v dual is 3.26v - 12v is 11.98v - 5v is 4.91v and vbat is 3.04

Please let me know... if I should return to Newegg or what can be done ASAP.

ts_123    0

Merlins1,

What are your system specs? Im trying to get as many customers specs as I can so I provide that info to the engineers that they can determine the exact root of the problem. Your information and test you have done are helpful. Thanks.

Merlins1    0

Hi TS... Here's my sys specs.

Intel C2E x6800 - 2gb Corsair Dominator 1142 - EVGA 680i mb - XFX 8800gtx OC - 150gb Raptor - 2x lite-on DVDs - SB X-fi - CoolerMaster RPP 850w - Zalman water cooler - 3xtra drives (WD raptor 74gb & 2 Maxtor sata 300gb)

Maelphaedor    0

I have exactly the same issue, here I was thinking it was the mainboard or something else. From a cold boot, hitting the power button makes the case fans spin half way up (with the led's "pulsing" each second or so, no less) and the only way to make the system actually power up fully and post is to disconnect it from the wall, wait a couple seconds for the remaining power to die out, then reconnect it. A pain? Yes, but workable so far.

What's killing me is this: Random reboots

At times after 7 to 8 hours of use, system will reboot out of nowhere (not a temperature issue, 25 idle and 35 under load) and install of windows is fresh as can be, no wacky driver things, since system only has mainboard and a video card in it.

And right up till the time it decideds to reboot, system is running flawlessly. When you try to start it back up, it posts, gets to the point where it's ready to start windows, then reboots, again and again.

Unplug the power supply, wait a sec, reboots right up into windows fine.

Last time this happened, I was actually looking at the nvidia monitor at the voltages and temps, system was cool, voltages looked good, and bam.

I had actually been leaning toward blaming the motherboard, since the 680i has had so many issues, but now I'm not so sure, don't have another a different power supply to swap out and test with, but it'd be great to know for certain what the problem is so I can get it corrected.

System Specs for comparison:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 w/ Zalman 9700LED @ 2.4ghz till system stable

EVGA 680i mainboard (122-CK-NF68-AR)

Corsair XMS2 Dominator 4GB (4 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

EVGA 7900GTX (come on summer, daddy needs an 8900gtx! :) )

Western Digital Raptor-X 150GB drive

Plextor PX-755SA DVD Burner

Cooler Master Real Power Pro RS-850-EMBA

Cooler Master Stacker RC-832 case

Windows XP Pro till the 8900gtx and 1st wave of dx10 games come out.

Pretty much my "dream" system, bites that it's not stable enough game on day in and day out.

Merlins1    0

hey Maelphaedor,

Do you have the networking software installed?? I was getting those reboots... found it to be that Nvidia networking manager on that mb.

i'm currently in Taipei and i will work with the team to find out the root cause of this issue. So far, i know that Asus Striker MB creates some noise interference with the PSU and causing it not to able to cold boot. Now, there are actually more people with different MB.

The funny thing is, we've tested different MB that's the same to what u guys mentioned and found no issue. There seems to be a selected group of MB that's having this problem with the PSU. This makes it even harder for us to determine what's the root cause.

Please stay tuned. TS_123 will be the main guy to contact regarding any technical issue.

Maelphaedor    0
hey Maelphaedor,

Do you have the networking software installed?? I was getting those reboots... found it to be that Nvidia networking manager on that mb.

Actually, I do, like a total newbie, I unthinkly installed everything that came on the driver disc before I'd read about anyone having problems with it.

Since I basically just have the OS and BF2142 installed, I'm thinking of blanking the system and reinstalling with the bare minimum nvidia software needed to run the board & video.

Always had such good luck out of nvidia's video drivers that it never occured to be that their mainboard drivers would be so crappy.

After the meeting today, we're still unsure what's the root cause the of problem is. Tomorrow, we will go to Asus and find out from them if there's any design incompatibility between the PSU and Asus MB since that's the most problematic we've seen.

The engineer is suspecting that the cause is because when we designed the PSU, we put a safety feature where the computer needs to require certain amount of wattage consumption on start. Asus board seems to require the least amount of wattage consumption so that's the problem with the cold boot issue. This is just speculation right now and could be the root cause.

If this is indeed the real issue, CM will fix the design and replace to all those who's experiencing problems.

Merlins1    0

Hi notoriousbigs,

Thanks for keeping us updated. This is the first time that I've used a CM product and I like it so far (well, other than the small prob.) LOL

Grant