Sign in to follow this  

iGreen 20+4 connector

Is the 4-pin connector suppose to "snap" or "connect" onto the 20-pin connector on the iGreen PSU lineup?

12339ch4.jpg

I found it odd that the 4-pin connector does not "snap/connect" onto the 20-pin connector on my iGreen 500W. This doesn't make it very secure to me as there is nothing from keeping the 4-pin from falling out of the motherboard.

knud    129

You can use the 20pin without the 4 pin. More psu's have it. Not sure where it's excatly for. I think there should be another 4 pin for the mobo.

Amodedude1    0

guys, guys, I'm surprised, you really don't know? Thats ok :lol: I'll let you in on it. hehe

Well, the reason for the extra 4 pins is to supply additional voltage to the ever growing power requirements of modern PC parts. It helps supply additional voltage to your parts, mainly your memory and chipset.

Don't get me wrong though. A 20 -pin power supply in conjunction with with a 24-pin mother board will still work and will usually not cause any power issues. However if you run sli on that 24-pin mobo and use a 20-pin psu, will be having some serious crashing problems.

the 24-pin hocks up directly next to the 20-pin plug on the mobo, they are so close that their cannot be any type of clip to hold them together. Don't worry about it falling out, as it fits in the plug nice and snug.

older mobos used 24 pins i think.

Nope, it's mostly on newer mobo's. For example > This One <

Definantly not an older mobo, it's for the P4 Core 2 Duo extreme edition.

(not old by any strech) :wink:

Ok so I shouldn't be worried if the 4-pin of the 20+4 connector falls out when it is installed on a 24-pin motherboard since there is nothing to hold it in place?

Spart1337    0

honestly i dont see why you would have a problem with it falling out. on my asus mobo getting my 24 pin connector out while holding down the lever is like pulling teeth. If i broke the thing off it would still be held as if glued.

Yeah but this PSU uses a 20+4-pin connector and not a 24-pin connector plus the 4-pin connector of the 20+4-pin connector has nothing to latch onto when installed onto a motherboard.

Amodedude1    0

yes, that is a bit strange. My Real power 550 came with a solid 24-pin plug and a separate 24-20 pin adapter. But I sure it should still work as their are little things that stick out and I think they may be to prevent it from sliding out.