Sign in to follow this  
zycore

20+4 Pin PSU & 24 Pin PSU

zycore    0

I have a Abit motherboard IS7-E2 and it requires a 24 pin PSU for the mainboard connector. Will a 20+4 pin PSU work as well? Its a AGP system and I also will need the 4 Pin connector for the processor. I am looking to upgrade to a 500W PSU but they all seem to be 20 + 4 pin.

Also could some one please explain whats the difference between 20+4 pin and 24 pin other than one has 4 less pins. Thanks

zerospace    0

The 20+4 pin deal is for those who still have 20 pin ATX mobos... so to answer your question yes, the 20+4 pin connector will work fine for you. (all this is is the 24 pin connector split up into a 20+4 configuration so that both folks with 20 pin mobos and 24 pin mobos may use it) just be sure to hook it up correctly.

zycore    0

Thanks for your help. I am assuming you mean by hooking it up correctly you mean pluging it in the right way. Since the conector can be pluged in only one way I will be fine.

LilChipmunk    0

The 24pin connector, if I'm not mistaken, was created to supply more power to the PCI-E bus. You can run a 24pin motherboard off of a 20pin atx connector, I have done this successful on a couple machines, however none were running any real high power graphics card solutions (SLI or any other real power hungry graphics cards). If you don't have a 24pin psu, you can get a 20-24pin adaptor, i have used one with no problem before, others have had different luck with that system. Since you have a 20+4pin connector, you should be all set. Like zerospace said, just plug it in correctly, I do not believe you can plug it in in-correctly based on how they key the plugs.