Sign in to follow this  
mekon

NOISE issue with eXtreme Power DUO 650W

mekon    0

I had a extreme power 380W and with open chasis I could sleep at night(my PC is allways on).But know I bought new motherboard ,CPU,graphic card(only one) and PSU eXtreme Power DUO 650W and NOISE came with my new PC. First I thought it`s CPU AMD Sempron 2800+ BOX ,then ATI AIW X800XL, but they are not the NOISE PROBLEM.Finnaly I only turn on PSU and there it is.Thats the sorce of all noise.

So is it ok that the 650W is much noiser then 380W or I shoud return it?

knud    129

I depends on how much the psu is under load.

But with your current configuration I don't think this is the problem.

It might be a faulthy fan.....

LilChipmunk    0

You could always see what CFM the i am assuming 80mm fans are and see if you can find some fans with les db of noice on a site like http://www.svc.com and replace the fans in the power supply. I had a powersupply with the same problem, i did this and attached a fan controller to the fans as well. This solved the noise problem for me.

ID    0
You could always see what CFM the i am assuming 80mm fans are and see if you can find some fans with les db of noice on a site like http://www.svc.com and replace the fans in the power supply. I had a powersupply with the same problem, i did this and attached a fan controller to the fans as well. This solved the noise problem for me.

That's an option, but doing so will definitely void your PSUs warantee.

LilChipmunk    0

Ehh, who needs a warranty?! lol, InfectiousDust is right, this will void your warranty for sure, voiding the warranty on a psu has caused an issue for me 2 times after modifying a power supply. So if you do this be very careful. You will most likley need to cut the power cabels that lead to your psu fans which means you probably won't be using them once you have your new fans in the case. You need to do something with those live power cables that used to be feeding power to your fans, if you don't take care of them, cover them with electrical tape and put them in a "safe spot" inside of the psu, then you could leak voltage into your entire case and really cause some issues. So like i said, just use some care if you use my suggestion and you should be all set and hopefully you never need to utalize your warranty.

mekon    0

I alreday did everything you told but with my OLD NO NAME PSU( installed Cooler Master 8x8cm fan with <13dB :o) like haven). I dont want to void waranty because i boght it 2 weeks ago.

Motherboard ASUS M2N DH(with WiFi APsoft on board but I desable it,and I use 4 USB port 2.0).In motherborad manual it says that it need minimum 600W so I bought 650W, but noise is as twice as load then my old Cooler Master 380W.

Why???

Aus M2N DH

AMD Sampron 64 2800+

ATI AIW X800XL 256MB

DDR2 512MB

ATA Seagate 250GB

Pioneer 111D

knud    129

Does this mobo require 600 watt?

I looked at the manual and there is nothing about it that says it needs 600 watt minimum. (or I missed it ofcourse)

Can you test the psu in another computer to see if the noise stays? And maybe test another psu in your current computer to see if that psu also makes a lot of noise

frogle79    0

What KIND of noise is it making? Is it a fan noise or something else, like a hiss or a electronic sounding squeal? If you can unplug the fan(s), and turn it on and the sound goes away then it's the fans. If it makes a hissing or a squealing sound, the transformers in the PSU are wound poorly and probably not resin dipped and there is little you can do about it aside from RMAing it and getting a new one. This won't really effect the operation, it's just annoying.