v_rayden    0

I upgrade from a Thermaltake Silent Pure Power 420w 18a, it was powering up:

AMD 64 3200+

DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D

2*512MB Corsair Value Ram

x800XL BBA

2 HD IDE 40GB each 7200 rpm

1 Sata 160GB

3 120mm fans from swiftech (delta 74cfm)

1 CD-Rw 1 DVD-R

1 CoolDrive 6

Apex Heavy Duty Water Cooling from Swiftech

Then i upgrade to a AMD64 3700+, XFX 7800GTX and 2*512MB OCZ Gold VX, so i decide to get the 550w RealPower sli.

I set up my rig and it doesnt boot, the mobo leds are on but when i push the boton it just flash everything and thats it, i take everything away i put stock cooler to everything and plug with the old PSU (Thermaltake) and it works, i have allready read about the issue of bios -5v so i update with the newest bios from DFI and it didn't work.

I unplugged everything again i just conect mobo, micro, memory, i pluged 24pin, 4pin, 1molex and the one of the floppy and it boot, but when i plug my vidcard and tried to start the system it only flash the blue led of the PSU and thats it, then i risk with a hotplug of the VGA and it began working i turnoff and try powering up and work, then i do hotplug to the HD, Cooldrive, CD-RW, etc, i shutdown and when i turn it on again it again only flashes so again i unpluged everything except the mobo conectors it boot, so i do a hotplug with everything and it begin working, but when i unplugged the power cord for a long period of time it again just flash, so i have to do hotplug again.

RM    0

you need more power

Look up the specs on your XFX video...It requires 27A of 12v

might wanna look at a BFG PSU

EsaT    0
I set up my rig and it doesnt boot, the mobo leds are on but when i push the boton it just flash everything and thats it, i take everything away i put stock cooler to everything and plug with the old PSU (Thermaltake) and it works
Too much variables, change only PSU, not half of the configuration.

And for start I would strongly suggest not to hot plug any devices which aren't designed for that. (=anything else than flat power connector of SATA harddisk)

At least if you want to be sure you're not causing extra damage...

Also you can try jumpstarting PSU separately by shorting/connecting pin of green wire to ground pin (black wire) in motherboard's connector. That would tell if PSU is capable to operating.

(only some highest efficiency PSUs need load for starting)

PS. What's the longest sentence you've managed to write?

you need more power

Look up the specs on your XFX video...It requires 27A of 12v

Measured in PR power scale...

It draws under 10 real amperes.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce7800gtx512_5.html

(P=UI)

RM    0

MY BFG 7900GTOC requires 20A of 12V+

I used to have a CMExtreme600 but it only provided 18A on 12V+

It would "weep" instead of beep...a quick flash and then turn off

had to get the BFG PSU

EsaT    0
MY BFG 7900GTOC requires 20A of 12V+
It definitely doesn't... unless its glowing red hot and there's smoke rising from it.

At default clocks 7900GT consumes under 50W (5A) so with even heavier overclocking getting to 10A current draw is impossible.

20A is for total system consumption... measured in marketing scale.

Your CM PSU has multiple 12V "lines" so there should be enough power if connectors are distributed right and CPU and PCIe connector draw current from different lines.

Also never look any peak values, those are totally irrelevant. Now continuous values of 12V lines are quite lowish but 12V1 and 12V3 looks to be actually one line in design of Real Power serie.

Newer iGreen serie has better current values but 12V1 and 3 seems to be now separated, two 12V lines would have given much better current values.

had to get the BFG PSU
Whose information available in BFG site is just more vague... (+ design seems to be oldish, 5V output hasn't been important for many years... ripple specification above that of ATX specs and apparently efficiency lowish)

Also whole "virtual 12V rails" concept (=limiting current available to separate 12V wire groups) has serious disadvantage in PC having lot of current hogs, distributing load so that PSU won't trip while just "half" of total 12V output is used.

Especially nVidia 8800 graphic cards and ATI's coming R600 based cards are going to be at least very close to causing problems.

RM    0

again: the CmExtreme600W wouldent even turn on the system.

I also have 2 Antecs a 450W and a 550W (12V+ rated at 16A and 18A respectively) also neither would power on the system

The BFG PSU is rated at 20A 12V+ (havent had a problem since)

again: The BFG site calls for a minimum 20A of 12V+

his XFX 7800GTX needs even more (26A according to the site)

and if you think thats bad.... check out thenew BFG 8800GTX that requires 30A or more (bottom left sys req.'s)

http://bfgtech.com/8800GTX_768_PCIe.html

EsaT    0
again: the CmExtreme600W wouldent even turn on the system.

I also have 2 Antecs a 450W and a 550W

Sounds much like some of these PC world's weird incompatiblity problems/motherboard using some staggered boot up which doesn't present enough instant startup load for some high efficiency PSUs.
The BFG PSU is rated at 20A 12V+ (havent had a problem since)
Only because your PC can barely achieve 200W peak consumption even under load.

Much more than that your BFG isn't even capable to outputting without voltage regulation starting to go down from drain, PR rating in sticker is at least 1/4th (more like 1/3rd) too high.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=21

again: The BFG site calls for a minimum 20A of 12V+
Their BS... marketing department can say what they want (unfortunately lying for making money isn't illegal) but they can't change laws of physics, or electrical engineering in this case.

Standard clocked 7900GT consumes under 50W (~4A from 12V)

Power consumption increases linearly with clock speed, now overclocked cards have generally just enough overclocking for justifying overclocked ads, in fact EVGA's similar card consumes just 56W (~4.6A) at peak.

Already comparison to part "NOTE: For two GeForce 7900 GT-based graphics cards running in NVIDIA SLI configurations, a minimum 450W system power supply (with 12V rating of 28A) is recommended" should tell how much one card can consume at max.

and if you think thats bad.... check out thenew BFG 8800GTX that requires 30A or more (bottom left sys req.'s)

http://bfgtech.com/8800GTX_768_PCIe.html

And read yourself also small prints: ...typical PC configured with an Intel® Core™2 Extreme X6800 processor

TDP of X6800 is 75W, that combined to 8800's TDP (~180W/15A) makes ~250W. 30A from 12V is 360W so there has to be damn plenty of HDs and optical drives for getting to that reading considering other components than CPU and GPU load also other rails. Or then nVidia's new chipsets (P4 nForce chipsets are more power hungry than Intel chipsets) sets new power consumption records for motherboard.

PS. Zero MHz overclockings aren't generally announced in sig.

RM    0

You may be right about all this electrical engineering stuff...but I still cant explain why these 3 other PSU's failed to turn on the system.

Im wondering now that maybe its the new Core2 CPU / board that needed something extra?

v_rayden    0

Also you can try jumpstarting PSU separately by shorting/connecting pin of green wire to ground pin (black wire) in motherboard's connector. That would tell if PSU is capable to operating.

(only some highest efficiency PSUs need load for starting)

I have tried this, and the fan just blinks and thats it.

RaptorFury    0

i dont know how the Extremepower 600 watter is but i do know the Real Power 550 is . as EsaT stated its all depends on how you got the rails distrubited thru out the entire computer . a good rule of thumb is to try and keep the cdroms togther and not share any power with main power hungry components . Hdds if you using sata they have thier own power plug but if you are forced to use the 4 pin molex then again dont share it with power hungry components share it off the cdroms power these are not used very often and in retrospect dont consume that much power Mainboard power should have its own power plugs and not shared with anything anyways . video cards Should have a Dedicated line just for those cards ONLY if you need to use a molex 2 pci-e connector then NOTHING should be on that set of Molex's . you can tell me what is REQUIRED to run a video card till you blue in the face it comes down to it IS the Psu capable handling that card . My recomended Power requirement is 450 wats with at least 25 - 28 amps on the 12 volt rail a,d the Cm Real power 550 doesnt have 25 - 28 amps on the 12volt rails but it instead it has 3 rails of a combined load of 48 amps continuous load so techinically i can run my system with out any issues ( which i do ) or By ati Standards i am below the requirement and my cards will burn .....