Sign in to follow this  
cavalier

incredibly noisy

cavalier    0

I just bought the cav T04 'cause it really makes a nice HTPC. It looks great, but.......

is there any way how I can substantially reduce that noise level?

Inside there's a P4 3GH with the standard cooler on it.

I assume, it's the chassis fans and the PSU which roar. Case padding is already ordered.

So, I'm grateful for any other suggestions to reduce the noise. E.g. chassis fans that fit (power plugs!) and are less noisy than the standard or even a different PSU which (easily fits!) and is like 13db or less.

thanks for advice.

cheers

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

ditch the p4 stock cooler, they are absolute grade a crap, flimsy noisy and not particuarly good, a decent psu to boot cos sometimes you get noisy ones, a enermax ocz or Tagan, antec and of course CM's one looks good tho havnt had a chance to read a review yet. the case fan probabbly isnt that loud. acoustic mattings a waste of money, decreases radiation of heat from the case.

Grump    0

There are several things you can do to reduce the noise from your HTPC. Sound deadening material is not a bad idea unless you are overclocking or have a very hot running CPU, like a Prescott. The case fans can be replaced with quieter operating fans, which Cooler Master has an abundance of (but not necessarily the stock fan) -- see THIS PAGE.

Cooler Master also has an impressive array of CPU coolers that are both chilling and very quiet -- see THIS PAGE.

I would also suggest you use siliconized or rubber washers between the fan and case to prevent vibration. There are also 80mm fan kits available that include washers and fan "skirts" made of silicone that work pretty good -- check your nearest modding suppliers.

You can also quiet fans by reducing their speed. Cooler Master has a number of nice function panels that are nice looking and effective -- see THIS PAGE.

You can also go so far as to use a rubber washer (I buy washers by the hundreds from McMaster-Carr) between all your metal-to-metal mounting points. Objects that spin or have other moving parts can also be silenced by the use of washers or other isolating options. It's quite a job to silence a computer these days, what with the blazingly fast video cards, hot CPUs, dancing armatures in high RPM hard drives and overworked RAM chips. All these things create heat and some make their own noise. High speed cooling fans that deliver an abundance of airflow can be unnervingly noisy. But with a little work, you can quiet the rattle so all you hear is the action coming from your favorite DVD.

Good luck,

Grump

BroChaos    0

you can't change the PSU on the cav-t04, can you? or is this one of the new ones that you can?

you can't change the PSU on the cav-t04, can you? or is this one of the new ones that you can?
The Cav4 PSU is proprietary and can not be changed.

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

what do you mean cant change the psu shoulndt you be able to change the psu on any case

cavalier    0

thanks for the hopefully valuable advice.

i will start with the case padding (cheap and easy...) and look for a different fan for the processor.

after listening carefully into the opened box, i really believe the standard fans of the cav-case are not noisy.

however, i am not certain about the psu..... unfortunately nothing changeable there.

I'll post here what worked how well (or not...).

cheers

what do you mean cant change the psu shoulndt you be able to change the psu on any case
The Cav 2 and 4 have proprietary PSU that we special made just for that case. There isn't another PSU out in the market now that will fit this case.

BroChaos    0

thats what i thought. just wanted to make sure the OP new that before he went out and bought a new PSU.