Sign in to follow this  
ditani

pc wont boot with RS-430 pcap

ditani    0

Hello,

here is my problem:

last week i bought a spire rocketeer II 400watt and connected it to my mainboard, harddisks, dvd players and fans:

asrock 939 dual-VSTA

amd athlon 4000+

geforce 6800LE

512mb ddr

IDE hard disks

i turned on the computer and it worked like 0.1 milliseconds.

so i disconnected any irrelevant hardware and tried to turn it on again;

same problem, but my keyboard show a light, so there is a connection with the power supply.

Since this didnt work i disconnected the whole power supply and build in an old power supply from my uncle, and it all started to work normally.

So my thoughts on this were: power supply broken, i brought it back to the vendor and changed it for a better power supply: the coolermaster eXtreme 430watt power supply.

As happy as I was on that time I biked home and installed the power supply; and guess what, exactly the same problem as the spire rocketeer.

it works like 0.1 millisecond and then its just slush/nada/nothing.

And again i connected the old power supply...with the same hardware configuration that i used on the rs-430, and *pling* the computer turned on and it works just all fine.

At this moment I think that I cannot bring back the power supply Again, since it simply cant also be broken. But what is the problem here then?

- the power supply? (i hope i didnt ruin it)

- the mainboard?

- other hardware?

do you guys have any solution for this prob ?

thanks in advance; a desperate ditani

knud    128

Does that mobo have a led on it?

Does it turn on, when the psu is connected?

And same for the keyboard, does the numlock key light up?

Try connecting only the mobo and hdd and if needed the vga card....

ditani    0

the mobo does not have a led on it (damn i hate that ;/)

butu the keyboard does have a certain led that turns on when there's "power" and this one is turned on when the power supply is connected.

I already tried the several configurations like

- mainboard only

- mainboard+gfxcard only

- maindboard+gfxcard+hdd

- mainboard+all

and nothing works, everytime the same problem, when i connect it to the electricity you see the cpu fan move for a millisecond and then quit (logical) but when i turn on the computer it does exactly the same, with all the 4 configurations listed above.

some additional info:

The old power supply:

12v/(alot of amp.) | -12v/0.8amp

---------------------------------------------

.....................350W...........................

the coolermaster power supply:

fc4613e704dd5a0acda6f6540c0eade5.jpg

lagfest    0

Was checking your mobo's specs and couldn't find anything about power supply information. I'm wondering if there is any 'power' sensed by the mobo since you said it only does the flash when turning on the PSU. Does any of the drives spin when you try turning the computer on? Or is it just flat out dead?

ditani    0

when i turn on the computer the cpu fan spins 0.1 millisec. (and all the other fans) but thats it, after that its just flat out dead...the spire rocketeer II power supply did the same thing and the old (at least 4/6 years old) power supply works perfectly at the moment

the keyboard i'm using got a led that shows when there's power on the computer, and that one i turned on.

renovation    0

this asrock 939 dual-VSTA mb is it a oem mb or a retail box ?

if it was a oem unit like in e-machine unit board just a exsample . it could be a diffrent power configuration . they have done this on some dell computers before . were you had 2 choices to buy a oem replacement from dell .or reconfig .the power lead of the new power supply unit .

lagfest    0

I'm more inclined to believe it is your mobo that doesn't like the power. Mostly considering what I'm reading is more mobo issued than PSU (not to mention you support it by saying the older PSU works fine). I'd try e-mailing the mobo company and seeing if there is some limit or something... I really can't put my finger on it at this time. Sorry...

ditani    0

it was a retail box.

i'm also starting to think that the mobo is the prob. Since i have a small other problem, it only detects one hard drive from the 4 i've tried to connect (all 4 worked before)...its really strange atm ;/

thnx for the replies so far :)

lagfest    0
this asrock 939 dual-VSTA mb is it a oem mb or a retail box ?

if it was a oem unit like in e-machine unit board just a exsample . it could be a diffrent power configuration . they have done this on some dell computers before . were you had 2 choices to buy a oem replacement from dell .or reconfig .the power lead of the new power supply unit .

I've done this before but it fries the mobo instead of just not turning on. Since he indicated that the 350W worked fine after I'm guessing it has to be something with the higher power outputs from the newer PSUs and/or his motherboard.

Considering you are saying it is having issues detecting HDs it might be going out. I hope it isn't, but it might be... sorry bud, I'd suggest trying another mobo, but that can start getting costly. One thing you might try is at the computer store, see if you can have them test the CM PSU and ensure that it is good. Most places have some sort of demo rig or some testing equipment. But I doubt it was the PSU being bad (and if they give you any resistance on the testing say you wanted to ensure that they don't get a bad unit returned or something along those lines since they don't want to sell bad units).

ditani    0

at the moment i'm really thinking that it might be the mobo....

when i tink about it i have found another small prob:

when i connect a hdd to a pci hdd controller windows cant boot (the windows loading screen with the nice sliding thing keeps going...stops for a sec and keeps going again)

i'll run some tests again when i'm home ;/