Sign in to follow this  
AceCobra1

Confident with the PSU? 600W doesn't even work 1 7900GTX!

AceCobra1    0

Well, I must say I am extremely annoyed and disappointed with the quality of the PSU... I bought what I think possibly is one of the most expensive 600W PSU... the iGreen 600w... asked the guy what the best one he had for sale and he said was that which certainly is pretty pricy too... £85.... I bought it thinking it was going to surely stop windows crashing and restarting due to a lack of power from a cheap 550w PSU... well, I was wrong... it still does that... and that is not when it is loaded... it even restarts when I just leave it on downloading... Now that is £85 not well spent... I tried SLI, restarts intermittently, did single card... still not working... I had a read at Asus's 7900GTX and it said that it required 350W and 12V and 20A ideally... then I had a look at the box... 435w continous then 12v @ 16A?? I certainly would have expected a lot better from an expensive PSU like this.... surely all 7900GTX has the same universal requirements - correct me if I'm wrong but does this mean that this pretty expensive PSU doesn't even power a single GTX properly ? The SLI config required 30A so lets not even go there! Peak was said to be 19A in the box.... how disappointing... I'd appreciate some advice or I think i'll get a refund and possibly need to stay away from coolmaster products....

ID    0

Have you tested your PC using any other PSUs? Maybe you can borrow one from a friend. If you're still experiencing instability then it's likely that the problem is elsewhere.

AceCobra1    0
Have you tested your PC using any other PSUs? Maybe you can borrow one from a friend. If you're still experiencing instability then it's likely that the problem is elsewhere.

Certainly have... I have 2 PSUs + this one...

550W

450W

and coolermaster 600W iGreen

AceCobra1    0

Oh yeah... System specs...

Asus P5ND2

1GB Corsair XMS 2 (2 x 512)

2 x EN7900GTX (asus)

2x DVDRW

Some massive cpu fan

Pentium D 805 (not even overclocked)

200GB HDD

Guest markkleb   
Guest markkleb

The specs for the 600 watt are fine for a 7900GTX (mabye pushing it for SLI)

Since you have had the same prob with 3 different PS mabye you should look at another problem. Have you tried different Video Drivers? Many forums are full of people with Nvidia Driver problems.

I have 2 different CoolerMaster PS and never had a problem. Right now I am using a CM 550 with 7900GTs in SLI with no problems.As a matter of fact in the last 50 PowerSupplies the only bad one I ever had was a Sunbeam.

You probably should have gotten a higher wattage PS if you were thinking about 7900GTX in SLI.

And as to the "stay away from Coolermaster products" comment. You will be missing some pretty good stuff, ur loss.

:roll:

Hi Ace,

We have the 600W here which we've tested to run both 7900GTX 512MB SLI. I don't think the PSU is the problem here. Maybe you just got one bad apple.

CHEESEWHiZ    0

It's odd that you were having problems with your 550. I'm running...

Asus A8N SLi-Premium

AMD64 3500+ Venice (not overclocked)

MSI 7900GTX 512MB

2X512MB Corsair XMS XPERT

20Gig HD (Windows)

250 Gig HD

350 Gig HD

1 DVDR Drive

5 80MM Blue LED Fans

4 120MM Blue LED Fans

on a Cooler Master Real Power 550. Having no problems. =\

Phuncz    0

I have a hard time believing the PSU is the problem. The setup you have should run with ease on all the PSU's you have, maybe not the 450W. Have you disabled auto rebooting after a system error ? You can find that by right-clicking "This Computer" and going to "properties". Than you have to navigate to "advanced", followed by the third button, "boot up and recovery options" or something like that (I've got a Dutch OS). Disable the automatic reboot. This way, if your PC locks up, it won't automatically reboot. If you do get this Blue Screen, write down the code or the filename that's causing it and google for it. It wouldn't suprise me that it says "nv4disp.dll caused the system to abruptly stop...".

Otherwise, do a memory test with Memtest86 (burn it to a CD and boot it). I really doubt that 3 PSU's are defective...