Sign in to follow this  
The Mad Modder

What is a "mod" to you?

What is a mod to you?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What is a mod to you?

• Any part you add to the case that did not come with the case.
    • Any minor modification like changing the thumbscrews or a bezel cover.
    • Overclocking is modding all by itself.
    • Any physical change to the stock box, like paint, holes, etc.
    • Major surgery on the case and structure to make it look nothing like what it was.

I have seen what many refer to as mods, but are nowhere near modding. It's just my opinion, but a mod to me is when you actually do something to alter the appearance of your computer. I'm not talking about just adding parts here and there. I mean do a paint job, anodize, vinyl dye, drill a blow hole, cut a window, Dremel in a design, do something out of the ordinary.

I know that modding is becoming common place and "out of the ordinary" may not be so out of the ordinary any more, but simply buying a few after market parts like LED fans, a cold cathode light, a ready-made windowed panel, etc. is not really modding. It's no more modding than you would consider bolting on some ground effects out of the package customizing your car.

This is what I would consider personalizing a computer. Nothing wrong with it, but it isn't modding to me. There are a lot of very cool after-market parts available to personalize a computer with. Cooler Master makes some of the best. But merely putting these parts on (or in) the computer is not what I would call modding. Making these parts different in some way, or using them in an unusual manner would be modding. Making a computer unique in some way, in addition to adding some of these after market parts is also modding to me. But when all you do is buy a bunch of pre-mods and put them on, you are personalizing a computer, not modding it.

Maybe I'm wrong. What is your idea of what modding is?

TMM

dave303    0

I would agree with you.

Modding is doing Physical Mods to something. Changing the Color of a Case. Drilling holes into a fan and added your own LED's.

Personalizing a computer would be buying a fan with LED's and adding it to a case.

zerospace    0

Well, considering that "mod" stands for "modification," then that implies that any modification from the stock appearance of the parts -- no matter what method by which you change the appearance, would be a "mod."

I would say certainly that there are varying degrees of modification -- adding after-market pre-modded parts takes the least skill. Doing a paint job, drilling holes for fans, changing LED colors, sleeving and modifying a power supply, etc. are more difficult (and thus more respectable) mods.

Personally, I haven't made too many high-level mods to my own gear (although I do have a few more planned), but I am handy with a dremel, drills, and paint brushes, so most of the stuff I've done involves those tools.

BroChaos    0

hehe, i was thinking mod stands for moderator, and they are the kings of the forums :P

but yeah, i would say modding is physically changing something.

but anything you "modify" could qualify.

i have a "modded" xbox. but i only put in a chip and a bigger hard drive. i guess you could say it modifies the software code.

Grump    0

It's only my opinion, and I don't think there's a commonly accepted term, but I would refer to them as a fabricator or a custom builder. I would not call them modders though, because that is short for modifier. A case built from scratch is not a modified case at all -- it wasn't a case to begin with.

Grump