Sign in to follow this  
mikepaul

RMA'd CM 550W, new PSU still doesn't boot computer

mikepaul    0

I bought it from ZipZoomFly a few weeks back for use with an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe. Installed it, no action beyond green light on MB and a blink of the light inside the PSU. Tech support said jumpering green to black with a paperclip would at least spin the fan, and when I tried that nothing happened, so I RMA'd it.

New PSU arrives, and I installed it without pre-testing. And it failed to work again beyond green light. This time, I jumped green to black with my multimeter and read 4.95 volts but no spin.

So now what? Is there a specific test that I should do to prove this PSU died in transit? I'm assuming the hole in the plastic bag around the blackbox was from a pre-shipping test. Since the paperclip test hasn't worked, I've been assuming no ground problem with the MB is at fault...

knud    128

This may sound stupid, but can you test it with another psu, to see if it's nothing else?

Cause 2 broken psu's would be a nasty taste of bad luck

mikepaul    0

Not STUPID, just not something I can up and do.

It doesn't seem nice to buy a PSU from Best Buy then return it once I'm done, and borrowing isn't feasable since nobody I know has the right PSU lying around. The PSU that powered the computer I'm replacing doesn't have the right cables for this ASUS board.

Now, if I don't get anywhere on retesting and NEED to buy another PSU, that's another story. I'll get fed up paying for RMAs really fast. That's why I need to know what to do with this one to prove it should be working...

Guest markkleb   
Guest markkleb

another thing plug in some more stuff into the wires. Sometimes just a fan isant enough to start up a ps when you jump the green and black wire.

Also I like to build the comp OUTSIDE the case the first time. Its easier to troubleshoot.

mikepaul    0

Yea, that green-to-black test is just not enough. I ended up buying an Antek power supply tester from Circuit City, and stumbled across the fact that the Antek 2-slot slot-fan I'd also gotten at CC caused the power supply to lock up when attached. Antek now has 1 win and 1 loss. I chucked that packaging weeks ago, so no return. Lucky for me, I had found a bunch of 1-slot fans for $5.25 each shipped, and installed a couple of those instead.

And one of the peripheral plugs, on the cable that ends with the floppy power connector, is bad. When I use it on my master HD, the drive goes AWOL. Not enough of a hassle to send it back, since I had a few splitters to bring power down from the other cable.

So I boot now, and am struggling to get XP SP2 to install, but otherwise the computer is working.

Thanks to those who helped...