Sign in to follow this  
bry1987

stealthing drives

bry1987    0

i have seen on many of the mods here people stealth their optical drives and since then ive been wanting to stealth my two optical drives on my stacker 830. now, i think i have a pretty good idea of how to go about such a thing, but i wanted to make sure before i messed anything up because i have a tendency to do that. correct me if im wrong, but i would assume you have to cut off the clips on the mesh drive covers on the case and then attach the piece to a drive somehow; maybe using heavy duty glue or double sided tape?

Phuncz    0

That would be a start yes. Also don't forget the button ;) That sometimes happens. If you used some sort of "thick" double-sided tape, you could actually open the drive by pushing hard enough on one corner. If you also fixed something hard in the place that would touch the button, you're in business !

Craig Tate    6

I attached mine using thick, doublesided mounting tape. I then hot glued a small piece of acrylic into the lower corner of the drive bezel that I was attaching, so that the hard acrylic was directly over the eject button.

The thick foam of the mounting tape has just enough give/flex in it to allow the corner to depress and allow the acrylic to contact the eject button.

If you are doing a mesh front grill, the white of the doublesided mounting tape would contrast badly and stick out. Recommend using black velcro tape. This provides the spongyness needed to allow the cover to flex, but better matches the black of the grill.

Also, you will likely have to file/sand down the corner of the bezel over the eject button a bit more than the other corners, to allow the contact to the eject button. I had to sand my edges down on the bezel cover to give the proper clearance for the foam tape/acrylic "bump" to do it's thing.

Hope this helps!

bry1987    0

when filing/sanding it down...that all depends on where the eject button is on the bezel correct? i probably wont do this until i get my fans and hd cage on tues. on some of the images ive seen on these forums, it looks like people removed the front bezel and just slapped on the mesh piece; is that an alternative?

Wacft    0

for my button i just put double sided tape there but left the paper on for the side that hits the button so it doesnt stick, did the trick and its easy.

Guest markkleb   
Guest markkleb

Another tip is to use a dab of silicone glue. After it dries it stays flexable.

A dab on the center will allow the cover to pivot enough to work the button.