Sign in to follow this  
bry1987

pc lighting advice

bry1987    0

i posted this on the "anything goes" forum, but i thought itd be better here since lighting is sort of a mod...

anyway

i bought some uv tubes for my case and upon purchasing my 12 inch "cold cathode" ultra bright uv tubes, i assumed they would be well...cold. not like ice cold, but cool. however they actually put out a significant amount of heat and i was wondering if all uv cathode tubes produce heat and not cool temps like regular cathode lights.

Amodedude1    0
i posted this on the "anything goes" forum, but i thought itd be better here since lighting is sort of a mod...

anyway

i bought some uv tubes for my case and upon purchasing my 12 inch "cold cathode" ultra bright uv tubes, i assumed they would be well...cold. not like ice cold, but cool. however they actually put out a significant amount of heat and i was wondering if all uv cathode tubes produce heat and not cool temps like regular cathode lights.

I have no Idea why they named it cold cathode, should have been just named cathode floresent light. But to awnser your question, no they dont get cold. Don't get confused by the name. And as far as I know none will. Sory to let you down.

For the most part, no light emitting divices will get cold, only hot. :roll:

ID    0

A 'normal' cathode requires heat to produce light, but a cold cathode doesn't require any heat and can produce light at normal temperatures. That doesn't mean it won't heat up over time though.

bry1987    0

i understand that its normal for a light to get warm and all that, duh a light bulb does...but i didnt think my uv tubes would get to the point where it was almost hot to the touch (part of the reason my computer was hitting 84C in my wavemaster lol) so i took them out. i might use them again depending on when i get enough cash for a new video card bc my bfg 6800 ultra oc runs hot so the uv tubes just add to the heat

Amodedude1    0

I wouldn't worry about your uv tubes getting hot too much. I know mine get warm too. They get warm enough that you can fell it if you touch them. Mine get about as warm as a toasted slice of bread that’s sat out of the toaster for about 30 sec, if you can picture what that fells like. :lol:

So all I have to say is as long as there not about to melt or catch fire or something silly like that, then don't worry about it. :wink:

Also, I would imagine that a uv ccfl would get even hotter than regular lights because it is emitting ultra violet light. ( which causes sunburn)

ID    0

The WaveMaster is a nice case but it does suffer from poor airflow. You could try installing some more powerful fans or mod a fan or two into the side panel. If you haven't installed a fan at the top (instead of the I/O port) I suggest you try it.

knud    129

I have 4 UV CCFL's in my case and no heating problems :D

(but I do have 7 casefans)

I shouldn't worry about that heat.

(mine aren't even heat, just a bit warm)(but you can hold them in your hand, no problems with that)

ID    0

Well he did say that his temp reaches 84C... that's definitely something to worry about! :shock:

knud    129

Hmm, missed that before, sorry.

Maybe he should get some better CCFL's

Sharkoons are good

bry1987    0

it got to 84C when i had my hardware in my wavemaster playing counter strike source with graphics maxed out 4x aa and 16x as on 1680x1050 resolution, its been a lot better since i got the stacker 830, i just ordered 3 more fans for it the other day (another for front, replace rear, and one for top) along with a hard drive cage for the second intake fan bc i think the fan bracket in the front looks retarded so hopefully that will help :P i can hold my uv tubes in my hand, its not like it burns me when i touch them, i just thought the cold cathode meant they emitted "coolness" (temp wise), but as someone stated earlier that was not the case...thats ok though, ill probably still use em once i get my new fans. i also considered getting the sunbeam lightbus to cut down on the amount of wires i would have to deal with having 4 uv ccfl in my case, any suggestions other than that? it looked pretty decent to me