Sign in to follow this  
mit5u

led case fan problem

mit5u    0

I have had about 12 blue cooler master neon LED case fans and the LED's have stuffed out in nearly all of them! They start flickering then just burn out one by one. When this first happened I thought it was just a faulty fan and simply replaced it with another one - since then 4 more have done the same thing! I have some of the old model (with the LED's mounted in the corners) and some of the new model (with the LED's mounted on the back) and both have done it. Has anyone else had this problem or is my power supply (which is also a cooler master item) killing my fan LED's or something....?

knud    129

Do you use a fan control for those? Sometimes a faulty fan control can do suchs things with a fan

mit5u    0

nope no fan control - I have 2 intake and 2 exhaust and they are all run straight off the power supply. I checked the voltage at each of them today and they all seem to be getting a steady 12.09V

zerospace    0

Interesting indeed. I've used numerous CM LED fans and never ever had this problem. In fact, I prefer the CM LED fans over pretty much all others, as my case fans. I would have initially looked to your power supply as the possible problem, but seeing that the voltage is correct, I'm at a loss. :? What kind of power supply is it that you're using, might I ask?

Has anyone else ever had this problem?

knud    129
nope no fan control - I have 2 intake and 2 exhaust and they are all run straight off the power supply. I checked the voltage at each of them today and they all seem to be getting a steady 12.09V

Are you in the position to try another psu and see if the problem stil excists then.

mit5u    0

I use a cooler master real power 450w (RS-450-ACLY) and it hasnt seemed to give me any problems, have used it for over 12 months now. guess i could try another one, any suggestions?

knud    129

Well, just for try-out, that's all.

Maybe you can borrow one from a friend?

mit5u    0

I might try get my hands on some voltage monitoring equipment, what range should the 12v rail stay between?

contra    0

the 12V line shouldnt be out by more than about 5% max but even if it was it wouldnt blow your leds

sounds to me like the led current limiting resistor in these fans is either too low in value or missing ! :shock:

assuming that the 4 leds are wired in series and each have about 2V drop (total 8V series voltage) and allowing say 20mA of current through them (bright) the resistor should be

(12 - (4 * 2)) / 0.02 = 200 (200 ohms)