Sign in to follow this  
Jackpine

Filter required for intake fans

Jackpine    0

When installing an intake fan, can filters be bought and installed, or do most people just install the fan and resort to frequent cleaning the insides of the case?

ID    0

This is more a case of personal preference. I don't like to use filters because it reduces the amount of air a fan is able to move. The tradeoff is that I need to use a can of compressed air to clean my hardware every month or so. It's really up to you: if you can maintain decent temperatures with reduced airflow, feel free to use a filter. Remember though that the filters need cleaning too, or else after a while you will have NO airflow.

zerospace    0

I agree with ID. I also prefer to not use filters--though I usually end up cleaning out my PC every 2 weeks or so.. usually when I see my temps start to rise because of the dust building up in the CPU HSF. heh.

ID    0

Yeah that's a good point with the temps, it's usually what I look at. Whenever my GPU's temp goes up there's usually tons of dust clogging up the fan grill. When that happens, water cooling suddenly becomes so much more appealing. :wink:

RaptorFury    0
Yeah that's a good point with the temps, it's usually what I look at. Whenever my GPU's temp goes up there's usually tons of dust clogging up the fan grill. When that happens, water cooling suddenly becomes so much more appealing. :wink:

then you need to worry bout the rad . but its easier in most ways to clean as it dont need a good cleaning for 3 - 6 months ..

ID    0

Exactly, there are far fewer parts to keep clean, less often. For now though I'll stick with my Hyper 6 and the Aquagate Mini, once I install it. 8)

merovingian    0

I use no filters on the computer itself. I run a HEPA filter Air Purifier in the same room as my computer so dust isn't really an issue. They cost about $250 if you get a very good deal on a decent air filter and you really don't have to dust your home nearly as often to keep everything clean.

Mr. Miyagi    2

I have never used an air filter, but you can use some fabric softeners. They work pretty well, block most of the dust and can leave your computer smelling good. (Cheap too)

knud    128

I have about 7 case fans, and I have to clean my pc every two months.

But watercooling would be more interesting, less to clean