Sign in to follow this  
Jackpine

Where to Mount Addtional Fan for Centurion 5?

Jackpine    0

I have the Centurion 5 CAC-T05 US case. Where can I mount an additional fan? The side panel has two perforated sections. The upper one has the CPU funnel attached to it. The lower one is free. Is that an acceptable location for another fan? If so, what size?

Also, can an additional fan be installed on the front of the case?

knud    129

In the side fan you can mount 2 fans, maybe not in the normal way, but try some. If a 120mm fan fits in the lower one, do so!

And about the front, my centurion 1 has 'officialy' 1 intake fan, but I mounted 3 without any problems 8)

ID    0

The 'CPU funnel' opening will accept an 80mm fan once you remove the funnel.

Jackpine    0

I am going to mount two additional fans, one on the side and one on the front. I have three related questions that need to be answered before I mount these fans:

1. The front will be intake. Should the side be exhaust?

2. Also, does the CPU fan blow air onto the CPU cooling fins, or does it draw warm air away?

3. And finally, what about the graphics card: does the fan blow air on to the gpu or draw it away?

Jackpine    0

I would rather not cut any holes in the case, but use the grid holes that are already there.

What about my questions regarding direction of airflow:

1. The front will be intake. Should the side fan be exhaust?

2. Also, does the CPU fan blow air onto the CPU cooling fins, or does it draw warm air away?

3. And finally, what about the graphics card: does the fan blow air on to the gpu or draw it away?

I have my own guesses for answers, but I don't want to be guided by guesses.

Thanks.

knud    129
1. The front will be intake. Should the side fan be exhaust?

3. And finally, what about the graphics card: does the fan blow air on to the gpu or draw it away

1) Front and side intake --> fresh air.

At the back and in the top should be exhaust

About the fans,

front(and in the bottom of the front, if possible) should be intake

Back should be exhaust.

check this picture:

faq-case1.giffaq-case2.giffaq-case3.giffaq-case4.gif

1 and 2 are bad/fault

3 and 4 are good!

(because warm air rises and you shouldn't 'bump' the airflow like in 1)

I hope this makes it a bit more clear! 8)

2) Depends on the cooler. What cooler do you have?

(fresh air from the sidepanel is always good!)

3) Also fresh air.

(note, hot air rises, so no use of an exhaust fan in the bottem (near graphics card)

Good luck!

Jackpine    0

When extra fans are installed, is it necessary to ensure a balance between air flowing in and air flowing out, or at least to have the outflow a bit greater than inflow?

Do you add up all the intake flows and compare it to the outflow to see if it is alright? Or do you just install fans without considering what the flows are?

knud    129

I have more intake that exhaust fans, but that's not (always) the best balance. Perhaps more exhaust than intake.

But you need to look how the fans are placed.

See my pictures please! :)

ID    0

Take a look at Knud's image (Case 3 & 4), he speaks the truth. Ideally, the airflow inside your case should resemble a backwards 'S', with intake up at the front of the case near the bottom and exhaust at the back of the case near the top. From there, you can add an exhaust on the top panel of your case (if that's possible) and/or an intake on the side panel. There's also nothing wrong with experimenting: redirect the flow on your fans, keep an eye on temperatures, and see what works for you.