Sign in to follow this  
Bronson7

Iron Doughnut In My New Case?

Bronson7    0

Hi Gang, first time poster here. I just bought a Centurian case and really like it. What I need to know concerns the iron doughnut that's supplied in the hardware bag. I'm guessing this is to minimize interference . The instructions don't address it. I think I have to wrap wires around it. Which wires and how many turns? That's all I need to know to finish my system using this awsome case. Thanks.

Bronson7 [/b]

merovingian    0
Check this thread It's an EMI protector.

It could be an EMI protector although ron doesn't seem to think so. If EMI protectors made a noticeable impact on performance, it would be built into any quality psu anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

Mr. Miyagi    2

I personally think they're worthless and have never needed to use one. ;) I wouldn't worry about it though.

Jackpine    0

I bought a Cooler Master Centurion CAC-T05 which also came with a metal (iron?) doughnut. The manual did not have it in the parts list. I asked about it at the store where I purchased the chassis. They told me that the wires from the power and reset switches, and the power/hard disk drive lights need to pass through the doughnut. They told me that this will reduce static electricity.

I am not convinced about this. However, there must be a reason for the doughnut to be included. What is it??

Mr. Miyagi    2

No one really knows what it does, but it doesn't do anything useful. I wouldn't worry about it. :D If it was something of importance, they would have told us by now.

Voxsmart    0

The "Iron" doughnut is actually made of Ferrite or Alpha iron soft. The soft bit means that it does not easily become magnetic (As opposed to hard, which does)

This ring is for wrapping approximately two turns of your front mounted switch and LED cables through it to stop EMI (Electro magnetic induction) being radiated from your computer to the outside world. Ferrite of this kind soaks up EMI like a sponge.

In Europe, everything made here or imported must have a CE mark (A conformity label) and electronic devices must conform to a set standard of EM radiation. I have no idea what rules the US have.

So, if an OEM company uses this case to build a computer for sale to the public, it should conform to the CE rules.

What we do with the Ferrite ring as home builders, well, I will leave that to your imaginations!

Jackpine    0

It seems from various threads and posts, that a number of people are finding these "iron doughnouts" in their bag of parts, and wondering what it is for and how to use it. I have seen posts saying it is not needed and posts saying the wires from the power switches and LEDs should pass through the ring. This supposedly is to reduce EMF.

I would like to suggest that Cooler Master either include appropriate instructions in their packages on what the ring is for and how to install it, or to stop including it if is is not needed.

Purchasing something that includes a part whose existence is not even acknowledged by the manufacturer is not an example of a good business practice, in my opinion.