Sign in to follow this  
Lazarus Dark

Project:UNMPC Apr10 I'm not dead :P

knud    128
I guess the question is, how big is too big?

I think > 32" is too big for normal computing.

But great for home cinema ofcourse

I have a normal 19" which is good, but I'd like to have good 21" gaming LCD.

yes, I would not recommend this for your desktop, haha! This monitor is actually only best suited for HTPC or other devices capable of 1080p output. The monitor can upscale and deinterlace, but not the best; actually the deinterlacer is not great. PC gaming should look good if you can sit back at least three feet.

Merovingian, I had to monitor the price closely over a couple days as it kept fluctuating a lot and seized the moment when it came to this price. I was prepared to pay 1300 for it but I lucked out with just the right timing. considering msrp is I think 1500, 1100 is quite good!

minhoca, I did a little acrylic work but my gf deleted the pics to make room on her flash card. I am definately motivated by this monitor to finish so I can use it to its full potential. I am hoping to get a little cash for christmas to put into the components, and also I should get at least $900 back on my tax return next month. Money has always slowed the progress of this mod and the need to work a lot to get the money leaves little time to actually work on the mod. Crazy isn't it?

minhoca    0
... Money has always slowed the progress of this mod and the need to work a lot to get the money leaves little time to actually work on the mod. Crazy isn't it?

Money and time is always a problem for casemod. They walk in different directions.

When we need one of them, the other one tends to disappear.

No money, no casemod. No time, no casemod.

Thats a big dilemma.

Good luck with your project. I`m waiting to see its done.

i coudn't agree more with my companions above. just a little thing i have to disagree.. money isn't a problem, the Lack of money is..

but, back in the topic,

lazarus, that monitor is quite good huh? i love those boxes in that formation, i cant wait to see that work ready. the composition are great. keep that good work lazarus.

You thought I was dead, didn't you?

Nope. As my name implies, I never stay dead. Wow looking at the above posts, its been four months since I posted here, and six months (!) since I posted some actual progress. Well, I've been hibernating this winter, keeping warm by the light of my hdtv. But winter is ending, and today I dragged myself away from the siren call of 1080p, and I got one of my side panels cut.

mod101hq3.jpg

You can see how I cut it in part to hide the black plastic angle piece on the mobo tray. I decided to go wide open, because as someone said, why hide all that work? I won't be showing the side of the drive cage, it will be some sort of case badging you will see there.

mod102ix8.jpg

I will be completely covering the side panel with a solid piece of acrylic cut from the piece below. I will be tinting it so that the inside will only be visible when lit.

mod103pd4.jpg

Also, a couple weeks ago I spent my tax return on some cool stuff to get ready for a running system.

components1sp7.jpg

That is a Logitech Dinovo Edge bluetooth kb and Logitech MX Revolution rf mouse. Also a 160gig sata hdd, not amazing I know, but it is the single platter Seagate, which should work well for os as it is cool and quiet. I got a sata dvd-rw drive with lightscribe. I also got some odds and ends, some cables, an external esata enclosure for my cable box, a usb to sata converter to test and use sata drives, and a copy of xp mce 2005 (I'm no MS fanboy, but I prefer to stay legit.)

components2kv2.jpg

Oh yeah, and I also got this:

components3yl3.jpg

The 600w iGreen. I didn't even want to take a picture of it because I know I couldn't do it justice, the finish on this psu is just gorgeous.

knud    128

This case still looks massive man!

Curious what you did with the psu :twisted:

How much did you pay for the keyboard and mouse?

oooh, well these are a little pricey. I got them at newegg for about 170 for the kb and 80 for the mouse, so about 250 for the pair, not exactly pocket change. But, I figure how often will I buy a new kb/mouse, right? Hopefully these will last several years, and I just couldn't use any old cheapies with my mod, this kind of htpc project you just can't skimp on any of it, it has to look as good as the case. Also, I am use to using a touchpad with my laptop, and only one other wireless kb that I know of has a touchpad and its an offbrand cheapie. Of course I use a mouse for long sessions, but for average use I find a touchpad more convenient; to each his own of course. The mouse fits my hand like a glove and its very responsive. Of course my previous usb mouse was a four year old led mouse, so just moving to a laser mouse has been a huge improvement. Additionally, the Logitech software is excellent, it allows you to set up all the options for the kb and mouse simultaniously, so they work great together.