Sign in to follow this  
ballbags

Scythe Ninja other passive HeatSinks

ballbags    0

Has anyone actually manage to fit a scythe ninja inside a Praetorian 730?

really interested because now i have a Praetorian, and i want to run a passive heatsink with my case.

Infinity    0

Measure the space from the top of your cpu to the inside of the chassis side and see if it's greater than the height of the heatsink :P (which a quick google says is 150mm)

Should fit though, but best to spend a couple of seconds measuring to check.

ballbags    0

nah it will arrive sometime next week. i think the black praetorians will be hard to find soon, not many stores stock them anymore.

mw    0

if its any good im using a hyper6+ without its fan. I presume as its a newish case it should have excellent airflow, just letting you know really.

Let us know what the case is like - im after a new one but looking at the p180 at the moment :?:

ballbags    0

you're using a Hyper6+ without a fan? you sure that is wise? the only reason im getting the scythe is becuase it has been proven to cool a athlon 64 3200 with no fans needed. what is your set up? which case have you got currently?

Infinity    0

I'm currently passively cooling an athlon 64 3500+ with a z*lman 120mm copper flower (fan unplugged) and a single case fan that only kicks in at certain temperatures and never goes faster than 50% (this is in a wavemaster that people say is crap for cooling), so using a hyper6+ with no fan would be very possible.

It's easy to do, but people seem to get worried when they can't hear their computer and their temperatures go above 30C, mine varies from 40-53C which is within AMD's guidelines, so I'm not bothered.

ballbags    0

thanx Infinity for the insight. Wow one single fan that kicks in? what did you use to manage to configure that with what hardware and software? im guessing the single fan you're using is placed at the back of the case.

Also what Psu are you using, is that passively cooled or is it a 120mm fan inside it?

Infinity    0

Yep, single fan is at the rear of the chassis, it's actually spaced away from the rear of the chassis using some old fan frames so it's right next to the heatsink (then the fan frames act as a duct to the back).

The powersupply I'm using is a silenx ixtrema pro, which I'm running at low load, the fan (80mm) in that is literally only just running, any slower and it'd stop, however, if the coolermaster realpower series was about when I bought it I'd probably have gone for one of those and swapped the fan (eww, blue led's).

I don't play many games, so am using a low powered gfx card with a passive heatpipe based heatsink.

To control the fans I'm using an mcubed t-balancer (used to manually use an aerogate3, but I'm lazy and wanted something automatic :P), I actually have 2 front fans and the one rear fan, but, the rear one is the only one on automatic control, I manually switch on the front ones (using the supplied software) during hot summers (which isn't that often in the uk ;)) when I'm doing a lot of disk i/o, or they automatically come on at 100% along with the rear fan if the cpu reaches 60C or hdd reaches 50C.

Also, because I wanted silence, all fans are mounted using silicon pins rather than screws so get zero vibration, and my hdd's are mounted using bungee type cord, as seen here to prevent chassis vibration: http://tehjunk.com/h-051.jpg

If you're looking to silence your system, take a look a SPCR forums, I got lots of tips from there.