Sign in to follow this  
Enigmachine

CoolDisplay for CoolDrive 6

Enigmachine    0

Hi guys! Feels like years since I've been here...

@nemix77 - I checked that the link to my download is still valid. I don't know about the original software though, I might have it archived deep inside a server somewhere. If I find it I'll try to post it somewhere.

I still have not updated to Windows 7 (No money for that :cry: ), maybe one day...

@maxblast - I haven't looked at that stuff in years, honestly, but as far as I remember the software need to be told the right COM port (often port 3 or 4 when using an internal USB connector). It will report correctly on the drives even if the COM port is not set up correctly, because the only data that goes through the CoolDrive's USB cable is the CD6's temperature sensors and fan speeds - there is no HD-related data there.

I'm not even sure if the original software actually reported the HD's internal temperature using SMART data... I remember I used to stick a probe on the HDs to get the temperature into the CoolDrive software...

I'll come back to this project when I get a new computer and plug a CD6 in. :D Hope I'm any help nonetheless.

Maxblast    0

Ok thanks for your help.

Do you perhaps know if the CD6 will work without the software?

I am happy with just the cooling features and only because of the additional wiring and software I tried to get it running under W7.

But I can live without all this if it is too complicated to get it running as long as I can be sure that the CD6 will continue to cool the HDD without the software.

Do you know this?

Enigmachine    0

Hi!

I had such a hard time logging in, I had to try the verification code at login a zillion times, how horrible! Anyway...

Yes, the CD6 will work perfectly fine without the software. In fact you don't actually have to connect the USB cable at all. Or even the heat probes. Don't plug in anything at all and the aluminum case would still cool your HD reasonably well. I never found the tiny fan inside the CD6 particularly helpful - too noisy for the cooling benefits. But if you have fans available, all you need to do is plug in the power to the CD6, plug in your fans and set the speed you want on the CD6 interface and you're done.

The software is basically only useful to get temperature and speed reports in Windows. And CoolDisplay additionnaly lets you automatically set the fan speeds and change the message on the LCD.. That's all.

Maxblast    0

Hi there,

This is strange, I had exactly the same logging problems. Dropped it for a few days and today I wanted to try again.

Thanks for your explanation. I bought two of these Cooldrive 6 cases to replace my Antec cases with noisy fans.

But meanwhile these new Cooldrives 6 are even noisier than my 6 year old Antec cases so this is strange.

I guess I can replace the fans but it seems these Cooldrives are of poor quality.

Anyone with the same problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Enigmachine    0

Well if you have a well-designed airflow in your case (say, negative pressure with few air entry points) you could probably get by without using the built-in CD6 fan which is very high-pitched, and the plastic bits make it resonate. Having most of the air come into the case by the holes in the CD6 should be good enough.

Otherwise, if you have enough space inside the case, one of the things I wanted to try out is to unplug the built-in fan and use the connection on a 8 or 12 cm fan INSIDE the case, right behind the CD6. I think with some skill you could get screws long enough to bite right into the aluminum case of the CD6 and the fan would just hang right inside the case, sucking air through the CD6 and on to the RAM and CPU.

In any case, apparently having cool Hard Drives isn't as important as keeping them at a constant temperature, so as long as they aren't too hot while running, you might not even want to bother with the fans.

Just my 2 cents. :)