Sign in to follow this  
Jiroe

Aquagate Controller Card Short?

Jiroe    0

I'm having a particularily frustrating problem. As noted in a couple other threads, I ran into the "thermal sensor broke" problem and Bret was nice enough to send me two more (thanks again, for that). In the meantime, while waiting for them to arrive, I decided to sleeve my PSU cables. Objective completed by the time the sensors arrived. I popped in a new sensor and hooked everything up. I powered it up and immediately I noticed that the beeping had stopped and the CPU temp was at a comfortable level. However, 3 - 4 seconds later, the system STILL shutdown. I thought that perhaps I had too many components in the system and the PSU just couldn't keep up. Or perhaps, in my sleeving process, I had melted some of the wiring insulation and ruined the cables. So I ordered a brand new, 450W PSU. I put it in, hooked it all up, turned it on, and all I got was a "click" from my speakers. No lights, no display on the AG display, no PSU fans spinning. Absolutely nothing but the "click." I do, however, get the red Power LED on the board, along with the POSTcode display (it's an Abit AN7 with the POSTcode reader). I took the PSU out, plugged it into another system and it worked fine. I've double-checked and checked again that the power switch lead and the Y-lead that came with the AG are properlly installed and hooked up to the controller card. However, I still get nothing. I've tried everything I could think of, short of dismantling it all and putting it back together. My question is, has anyone else experienced problems with the AG controller card or any other problems related to these symptoms? I thought it was, perhaps, a fried CPU, but every time I've booted, the AG turned on and water flowed through, so unless there's a serious design flaw in my particular system, it's not that.

Jiroe,

This sounds very similar because a customer came in to the office one day so i could check out why his Aquagate wasn't functioning. Same thing happened like you where it just make a click and nothing. No fans nothing. He unplugged his video card and the unit powered up. Then after a while it shuts down. We later discovered that his graphic card was fried some how and it causing the computer not boot. I dont know if this helps but i know for sure it's not the Aquagate. if the PCI card that came with the Aquagate is defective, you wouldn't be able to see the water flowing or anything working in the Aquagate.

Jiroe    0

Oh no! I hope it's not the video card! It's a brand new GeForce 6800GT OC. I'll try it and see if it works, though.

EDIT: Just tried that. No go. It still does the same thing where it does absolutely nothing. It's got to be some kind of disruption between the actual power button and the power switch lead, but I've rechecked it several times. I'm going to contact Abit with the POSTcodes I got and see what they mean.

I was just saying it could be some component in your PC got burned. I was telling you the guy that came here had his X800 XT fried for no reason. You could look around which components in your PC is dead.

Jiroe    0

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try a few things, since I'm not the only one who has had this problem with this mobo. One question, though: Is the thermal grease that comes with the AquaGate electrically conductive? I removed the waterblock and noticed I had gotten some of it on various areas of the CPU that it shouldn't be. I'm going to clean it up and try again and see if it works.

Once you clean it there shouldn't be a problem. One time i was building a system here and i accidently applied too much grease. I took the heatsink off and all the grease got in the CPU pins. After some careful cleaning, it works. I even bent some pins and fixed it still worked.

Jiroe    0

I tried it. No go. I'll try every component in another system until I weed out the problem device if there is one. I'm still wondering if it has something to do with the controller card. It's supposed to go from the button on the case to the Y-lead that was supplied with the AG. Then it splits to the controller card and to the power button pins on the mobo, right? If the controller card were faulty, would it prevent the system from being turned on, as a failsafe so the system won't boot without pumping water? Or is it strictly to shutdown if the CPU temp gets too high?

Jiroe    0

Okay, I figured it out. Turns out, the CPU wasn't staying in the ZIF socket when the latch would close. It had nothing to do with the AG. However, I'm still curious to know if the system will still boot if the controller card malfunctions.

Jiroe    0

Yay! I'm running on my Aquagate now! Everything is running perfect except for one thing. Every now and then, I hear a faint "knocking" noise coming from the unit. Any idea what that may be? It doesn't seem to be immediately harmful, as my CPU is running at about 98F.