Sign in to follow this  
azn_bboy07

which memory is good for oc on my x2 3800+

azn_bboy07    0

hi guys,

havent been on this forum for a while. just asking u guys a favour taht helping me to choose which memory is good for oc my amd. currently i found a good price for a pair of corsair XMS Memory 1GB DDR400 PC-3200C2(2x512mb) about 170bux (aus money) on ebay. but i duno will it be able to oc my system? OR shud i get the ocz brand which is good for oc. ANd which one u guys rekon is good for oc and valueable (for ocz)? is OCZ 1gig KIT (2 x 512meg) DDR400 EL GOLD EDITION worth for oc my system? or this one OCZ 1gig KIT (2 x 512meg) DDR433 EL GOLD EDITION. I'm currnetly use abit mobo (A8N-sli) and hynix ram.

appriciate for any reply from u guys

ID    0
Why not keep your current ram and run a divider?

Sound overclocking advice right there. I don't know why so many people overlook this...

Mr. Miyagi    2

Abit is AN8-SLi, while Asus is the A8N-SLi. Just a correction

Try running a divider and see how far you can get. Reduce the timings and increase the voltage to around 2.8-3.0.

Is this the OCZ PC-3500 Gold VX? or the GX?

azn_bboy07    0

whoopss my bad typing. on the website they said it's GX XTC. i tried to run on 2.2ghz and my system froze quite few time with my current ram. and leave as 220x10. and leave the memory as default and i just increase more voltage to my cpu and ram. So how can u guys show me how to run the devider? i'm just a newbie in oc. lol

appriciate for ur answers

merovingian    0

I've lifted this from a previous thread.

Dividers are like ram multipliers except you generally set them to .9, .75, etc. hence, divider. Why would you want to do this? Well your ram will not be able to increase it's speed at the same rate your processor so you will need to either adjust your cpu multi or your ram divider so that both can reach maximum potential. (except in my case where it just so happened that my ram maxed out at around the same speed as my processor 289x9=2601)

Basically it works like this...

HTT x CPU multi = Clock speed

HTT x Ram divider = Mem Speed

HTT x HTT multi = Bus speed which you need to keep as close to 1000 or less.

First go back and set your settings to default, then download Prime95, memtest86 and cpu-z.

Basically, this guide is going to help you manipulate this matrix to provide your max speed speed for cpu, ram, HTT by testing the max speed of your ram and your cpu and then just calculate your settings.

Follow this guide

azn_bboy07    0

thanx for ur effort merovigian, havent been on coolermaster forum for a while. I did that way and i could oc my cpu however the system wasnt stable @2.4ghz. and i put my mem as ddr166, and my mutiply is 10 so my ram frequency is 200mhz. But it crashed a few times so i put it back to default. Guess my ram is not for oc enviroment. and a small question, which memory is worth to getting for ddr500 guys? ocz or muskin?

cheers

ice_cubed    0

If you have your memory at 200mhz, and it is DDR400 memory, then it is not overclocked.

I would look at the other settings.

Which memory should you get? Some motherboards are fussier than others. Find out what other with your board are using. The motherboard manufacture probably has a forum of some sort. I have a board that works great with one pair of OCZ DDR 500s, but it won't post with a different pair of OCZ DDR 500s.

merovingian    0
thanx for ur effort merovigian, havent been on coolermaster forum for a while. I did that way and i could oc my cpu however the system wasnt stable @2.4ghz. and i put my mem as ddr166, and my mutiply is 10 so my ram frequency is 200mhz. But it crashed a few times so i put it back to default. Guess my ram is not for oc enviroment. and a small question, which memory is worth to getting for ddr500 guys? ocz or muskin?

cheers

Yeah, that's not OC'd ram at all, in fact you declocked it to ddr333 (if it's ddr400).

Anyway, as said above you need to look else where. Sounds like you had a stability problem before, is that why you want new ram cause you think that is the problem?

azn_bboy07    0

hmm.. i think thats the stability problem. I thought just because of my power supply doesnt give enough juice for my cpu when oc, so i upgrade to 500w. However it still not stable @2.4ghz. And i've been to other forum about oc and as u said i declocked my ram @ ddr333 instead of ddr400. and my ram timing is 2.5-3-8, so i guess it should be able to oc smoothly @2.4. As well as i've been to abit website for my mobo and check out the compatability of the mobo to ram. And they said for ddr500 its only has geil for ddr500. So i wonder if i can use ocz ddr500 (here is the link of it :http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=3705).

cheers