Sign in to follow this  
sorjorla

Survey: Your next power supply purchase (Blue Ice Giveaway!)

What is the most important criteria when you decide to buy the next power supply?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most important criteria when you decide to buy the next power supply?

• Wattage
    • MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure)
    • Price
    • Appearance
    • Efficiency

ice_cubed    0
Anyway, this thread is for market research, so lets keep it at that.

I think I have upset you, and now you don't want to talk. Sorry, that wasn't my intention.

My HTPC system crashed all the time until I put a 350w PS in.
It all depends on the quality of the power supply, I could run a good 300w one in my rig and it'd be fine, or I could run a cheapo 600w one and it'll be unstable.

The 300W PS came in a Cooler Master case. If Cooler Master is including cheapo power supplies in their cases, marketing should take note of that.

Having more power supply than you need helps the power supply operate cooler and quieter.

Sorry, but did you read that in a joke book? The efficiency of the components determine how much heat it puts out ;)

No, that has come from my own observations. I suppose I have never owned a power supply that offered 100% efficiency. Discounting a power supplies wattage by 20% has been a good rule of thumb for me.

Many posters have said that price is important to them. How much does efficeincy affect price? If giving up a little efficiency meant a much less expensive power supply, would that make the power supply much more attractive to buyers?

Amodedude1    0

To me the most important factor in a power supply is quality! Like someone else in this thread said, you can run an under rated power supply if it is one of good quality. However, if you slap in a chepo high watt power supply it’ll go all wacky on you. So go with a high gauge wire and beefy caps on your next PSU! Also, for me aesthetics are really important. If I buy something it has to look flashy or have unique functionality. A good example is the current coolermaster 550 PUS, it has the fan suck air in from the inside of the case and blows it out the back. Since the fan is mounted on the inside, it not only is functional but it gives the back of the PSU a unique look. So..

What I think is important is ....

1.Quality

2.Looks

3.function

Also, quiet is good but not super essential. :wink:

As far as features go, as long as the PSU has support for all the modern plugs I see no need for anything else, but a fan controller would be a neat and valuable (to some) addition. It would also be a nice touch to see the "SLI Ready" logo so the unit will really be appealing to people. So for a high quality PSU I would expect to pay around $150-$250 but no more.

SuAsDu    0

Hey Folks.. well.. here are my input on these questions:

1. How much wattage do you think is sufficient?

I pessonally think 300-400 watt is fine for the average desktop. This will be websurfer and casual PC users.

For Gamers and Overclockers, I would definitly think 500Watt would be the minimum (for SLI). Of course this would have to be true power, and not overrated power.

2. What features are must-have to this PSU?

Stability is a key factor in a PSU. If I was looking for a PSU right now, I would have to say modular Cable is high on my list. Not from just a modding perspective, but just keeping the case clean and better air flow. Its annoying when a dangling molex hits a Fan when you move the case.

Sleeved cable is a nice touch also.

Things I can live without would include Windows and Lighted fans. Most of the time it never matches the colors I'm using in my case.

3. How much are you willing to spend on this PSU?

For a standard desktop PSU, I would be willing to spend lik $60 for a solid PSU.

For an gamer / performance PSU, i would be willing to pay $100+.

Just my $.02 :)

SAD

sorjorla    0

Thanks everybody! You guys provided very valuable information! I'll need to spend a great deal of time summizing them tomorrow. :lol:

ID    0

I realize I might be late in suggesting this, but do we have the technology to build a quality, passively-cooled PSU yet? It's only a matter of time before more companies look into this... CM needs to get in on it before the rest of them do.

Karma Ghost    0

Fanless units have been around for a while, but in general they have been limited to lower watt PSUs (I've seen fanless 300/350W supplies for a while). Those ones are incredibly expensive... at >100USD I considered the fanless PSU market restricted only to those who were adamant about silence or people making silent HTPCs.

But recently I've seen one or two newer fanless PSUs with higher wattage. I've read a few reviews and it seems to have a few heat related issues, which is a drag but somewhat inevitable.

So it seems like the technology is there, but I don't think I would trust the stability of a machine so much as I would one with active cooling. Instead of passive cooling I'd rather see a 120/140mm cooling fan in there going nice and slow and keeping the parts in there chilly.

But if I am wrong and good technology is out there (utilizing heat pipes or some more recently implemented cooling techs) perhaps a passive power supply is not out of the question... :shock:

Mr. Miyagi    2

It really isn't. One company already has created a 500w. (There is a silent fan that only comes on at a certain point, but it's still silent). The units do get hot, but with a case that had decent airflow, it'll run fine.

ID    0

I should have added that cost is the main factor here. Like you said Karma, a quality unit costs a bunch.

As far as I know, not too many companies have pushed this design to the point of making a quality, powerful PSU. In fact, I only knew of one which Miyagi kindly reminded me of.

If CM can hack this, at a reasonable price, they could easily put other companies in their place.

Mr. Miyagi    2

There is such a large market for silence computing. If CM starts releasing products that are completely silent (<12dba) and run pretty cool, they will gain market control. Silent computing is the way to go.

ninuhadida    0

i disagree with fanless psu's. first - the atx system is designed with a psu that has a fan in mind and not fanless. you can practically see this, it only gets some air from the cpu cooler which is usually hot. second - it's more expensive than a fan cooled psu and i dont see a reason why the psu should dump hot air in the case. i don't see why users should pay more for a psu that can be SILENTLY cooled down with 2 fans. again i disagree with 120/140cm fans b/c there is no fan forcing the air to be sucked out of the psu. push/pull desing is the best IMO you've got air moving from on side of the psu to the other side flowing through components instead of forcing more air in the psu with no outtake fan.

less than 20dba is good enough i think, i mean you have to put your ears next to it to hear anything.