Sign in to follow this  
sorjorla

Survey: Your next power supply purchase (Blue Ice Giveaway!)

What is the most important criteria when you decide to buy the next power supply?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most important criteria when you decide to buy the next power supply?

• Wattage
    • MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure)
    • Price
    • Appearance
    • Efficiency

zerospace    0

I chose wattage, though I'm more concerned about stability. Price is the second most important thing to me because I'm not about to spend $300+ on a power supply. Looks would have to be third on the list, though if a power supply is really good in all other aspects, I can always mod it :wink:

Minimum wattage? Ohhhh, I'd say somwhere in the 425W - 450W range. One other comment -- if CM is going to make power supplies with 'bling' - perhaps they could make a couple of versions for people that don't have the blue/black theme going on. :)

ID    0

Hmmm I'm drawn between wattage and efficiency... but since we buy a PSU based on our wattage needs either way, I guess I'll pick efficiency. Continuous, stable power is what makes a quality PSU.

ninuhadida    0

well there is several things that i consider when buying a psu..

efficiency is one of the important things. the more that the psu is efficient the better. less energy is lost in heat and reducing the price of your bill is always better :)

stablility is also important. i mean if it isnt stable who will buy it? i want to run my computer smoothly, always on and without any problems of having your pc restarting constantly b/c of stability problems.

wattage - i think 480-550w is more than needed on todays computers, if it is purepower after all. i mean i have 2 power hungry cores in my machine and with a 460w purepower psu it runs fine. otherwise if you have more wattage that most users need = the psu costs more = fewer users buy the psu

price - i think this should be around $100-160 otherwise it will be too expensive for most users to buy. mostly because most ppl say who's gonna pay more than $150 for a little box that supplies magic to the computer?

quality - no sharp edges should be present, blowholes should be cut in a round shape with a wire grill. (fewer air resistance and less noise than stamped grills), gold plated molex pins for less electrical resistance and stable voltage, heatshrinks usage in the psu itself so less risk of something touching with a bare wires or something, copper wires, good heatsinks which have more area is the better but that doesn't weigh a ton, rifle/ball bearing fans, the least possible voltage range i.e. for example should be close around 12v and not running at 11.8v.

looks/wire management - should have enough molexes for a typical user but not too much that make hiding them a nightmare. 2 pci-x, 6 4 pin molex, 1 floppy molex, 4 or 2 sata molexes and most importantly maybe at last cm will change this - i hate to use a 24 pin to 20 pin adaptor if i ever had a rp psu. it's just extra wires in the way - should be 20pin molex then another 4 pin molex with the 12, 5, 3.3, and ground wires that connects to the 20 pin molex if needed. the 20/24 pin molex wires should be sleeved in black which covers the WHOLE cable not leaving like 4cm visible at the end. other wires like the 4 pin molexes shouldn't be sleeved or otherwise offers different packages with different colour themes. but cetainly not the multi colored sleeving.

cooling - should be silent in normal use with 2 80mm fans one at the back and the other in front of the other one (the side were the cables leave the psu) and not the 120mm design - that creates air resistance = more noise plus no outtake fans so the fan has to do more work to push the air through. push/pull config. should be silent like running at 1600rpm all the time but a relay kicks in to run the fan at 2000 if it's near a high temperature.

general ideas - should accept 100-250 voltage and not with the switching from 110/240. should look clean inside and maybe the usual sticker that is on the side of the psu that mentions the amps etc should be put on top of the psu facing the top of the case. i mean if you have a side panel that sucks and it's rare for you to need to see the ratings etc while the psu is running, but if you do manual is there for you. the manual should be a straight forward one with pictures and text that says how you should install it/troubleshooting.

well that's all i think. i voted for efficiency that is the most important thing for me but other things SHOULD be taken into consideration not just efficiency. :D

hope this helps!

mw    0

The simple answer for me is :

Quietness :D

Some innovative design feature - how about a wheel reel to enable use of different parts, like you see on headphones (kinda modular, but kinda not !?!)

Efficiency - I love this planet, and would like it to stay that way! Yes Americans !!! take heed of the kyoto protocall !

This may help, but then it may not :) .I cant understand you people on 600 watts? What on earth do you need that kind of power for ? I can run my electric shower, pc and kettle on less than that !

RaptorFury    0

450 watts is what i consider lowest i go when purchasing a psu .

2) things that are a must to have with psu , 2 x sata plugs , minimum 2 x 3 sets of molex's ( this is more personal preference ) , 1 x 24 pin power ( this is standard ) with 24 - 20 pin adapter ,1 x floppy power ( as i dont like em u still need atlest 1 ) 1 x 4 pin atx connector , 1 x pci-e connector . effeciency of psu of over 70% is a must bc this generally gives the impression of better cooling and better quality components . loudness i am hit and miss if you can use a larger quiter fan on psu i am opted to purchase it over smaller louder fans , but if there is only smaller fans i will still purchase it . price is a consern it does need to be practically priced ( 60-110 dollar is practical from 450 - 600 watts) . the molex's with easy grip or easy handle's is a bonus ( which seperates one company from another ) and is definetly a nice feature to have . i am not one for modular design , i like my wires connected straight to the board of psu but maybe build 2 versions 1 modular one not ( if it has what i am looking for ( psu ) and resonably priced i will purchase it wether modular or not ... )

as far as features and the likes . if you were to build a PSU with all Copper Wiring all Copper connectors , and Copper Heat Sinks also adding soldered in wires at the connectors not the crimp on wires on the cnnectors .it is reasonably priced lets say 80 - 160 dollar range ( american )if it had these features I would make it a point to Purchase that Psu . as any enthusists or anyone for that matter knows all copper wiring and soldered in connections will have less resistance and more power capability versus using silver wiring and regular metal crimp on power connectors

k0rp    0

i think a nice looking power supply like the hyper type r with plug in and out power connectors ......

must have lots of watts and lots of amps <<

Also must have cables that u can choose (use what u need only)

i am now running a enermax liberty 620watt psu and it looks crap But does the job unlike my hyper type are 580watt

most important u need a power supply that runs over a true 600watts and has 2 pcie cables for powering very high end graphics cards with a minimum amps of 22amps per pci express 12v rail ...

Overall we need a very attractive psu that looks the money we have spent on it and do the job for all very high end pc's ...

im fed up of power supplys that say they do this and that and fail ....

i think the hiper type r psu is the best looking and user friendly psu about but cannot cope with high end systems....

If CM can make one in the way of the hiper but with lots of grunt then i would buy one ....

i am willing to spend upto £200 on a psu aslong as it looks the dogs dangleys and produces power of the national grid without failures....

cheers 8)

roguetomato    0

Questions:

1. How much wattage do you think is sufficient?

2. What features are must-have to this PSU?

3. How much are you willing to spend on this PSU?

Answers:

1. Wattage should be dependant on the needs of the current generation components, while leaving some room for future upgrades - right now I would consider 400W-500W as adequate.

2. Silence would be nice, but not essential. Asthetics are not needed. Function over form for a PSU, so stability would be my #1 essential. Modular cables are nice to reduce clutter and improve airflow but not neccessary. Solid cables are a must, no cheapy/flaky cables or connectors please :roll:

3. You get what you pay for, especially with PSU's. Therefore, if the above criteria were met, I could see myself spending $100 or more for this PSU.

ice_cubed    0
People always over rate what they need though. The average "normal" pc uses 300-350. Mine is currently using ~200w.

My electrical bill would look a lot better if I could get away with a 200w PS. With my P4's, 300w means no overclocking and a max of one PCI card for a stable system. My HTPC system crashed all the time until I put a 350w PS in.

Having more power supply than you need helps the power supply operate cooler and quieter.

Infinity    0
My HTPC system crashed all the time until I put a 350w PS in.
It all depends on the quality of the power supply, I could run a good 300w one in my rig and it'd be fine, or I could run a cheapo 600w one and it'll be unstable.
Having more power supply than you need helps the power supply operate cooler and quieter.

Sorry, but did you read that in a joke book? The efficiency of the components determine how much heat it puts out ;)

Anyway, this thread is for market research, so lets keep it at that.