Sign in to follow this  
sorjorla

Survey: Your next power supply purchase (Blue Ice Giveaway!)

What is the most important criteria when you decide to buy the next power supply?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most important criteria when you decide to buy the next power supply?

• Wattage
    • MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure)
    • Price
    • Appearance
    • Efficiency

misterLOBY    0

I chose wattage as the most important criteria when choosing a PSU.

In today's standard systems, I believe 500W is sufficient, however there should be a feature to adjust the amount of wattage being sent to the system. Instead of being fixed at 500W. There should be a feature to increase the amount of wattage to say 600W perhaps to accomadate an upgrade. It could work both ways as well, you could lower the wattage to 400W if your system just needs 400W of power. This would make the PSU more versatile. Consumers who build their pcs love products that are versatile. For a PSU like this, I would pay between $100-$150 US.

-misterLOBY

RaptorFury    0

he cm real power is rated at 550 watts but can easily goto 650 watts ( as a review stated when i read up on it ) and ur comp will only use what it needs u can have 1 kw psu and if you only need 150 watts thats all goin to be used up .

ice_cubed    0
Dear all,

I'm doing a little market research here and need your help. We want to know what makes the perfect PSU that everybody would like. Please feel free to leave any comments here. Here are some criteria I want to hear from you:

1. How much wattage do you think is sufficient?

2. What features are must-have to this PSU?

3. How much are you willing to spend on this PSU?

Thank you very much for your input! :D

P.S. I want to hear from you! So, whoever leaves a valuable comment here [Emoticon response doesn't count as valuable here :roll: ], you are automatically enter in the lucky draw!

We will randomly pick ONE person to win the Blue Ice 2 (RT-UCL-L4U1)! :wink: I will announce the winner on Friday afternoon, Pacific Standard Time!

There isn't one power supply for everyone. I need two different power supplies.

For my desktop machines (the ones I put together for friends and family) I want a rock solid unit that will be working just as well four years from now as it does today. For a single core processor, single video card, one or two hard drive system, 400 to 450 watts is fine. Longevity and stability count for everything. Appearance has no value. The cover goes on the case and often never comes off again. Price: I can get a 400 watt PS locally for anywhere from $25 to $100+. Tight budgets usually dictate something in the $50 range.

For a performance/gaming machine I want clean, ripple free power. Modular is important to me too. Any cables that can eliminated helps. The power supply should comfortably handle a dual core processor, high voltage ram, a single video card with an 80 watt peltier/water block cooler, or dual video cards, and two to four hard drives. A twelve volt pump often fits in that picture too. The PS needs to be in the 550 to 650 range. Power supplies often come with an LED fan build in. The LEDs are almost always the wrong color. Either use a non-LED fan, or better, allow me to change the fan without voiding the warranty on the power supplies. I like a plain appearance. Black is almost always best. I never want to RMA a power supply, but if I have to, I want that experience to be painless, and not cost me anything if it wasn't my fault. For price, I pick the unit that most closely matches my needs, not the most or least expensive. Price competitively.

domoMKIV    0

efficiency is the most important. if its not efficient the only piece of metal its worth being in is a trash can.

550w is enough.

i prefer a modular setup simply because i despise useless wires.

Winky    0

I agree with everything thats said so far. but I'll restate it (with hopefully some new tips) in my own words. :P

[in no particular order]

*Wattage rated is how many watts your getting. now I haven't ever had a CM psu before so I have no real opion on your psus. I just know my history with certain brands have been dissapointing. Years pass and I loose wattage, things aren't as high as rated and things ten to fall apart.

which brings me to my next one

* stability - yes I will pay more for somethign that is guarenteed to rarely fail if ever and will last longer before

* Control - big big thing in my opinion. I want something I can control and moniter on my computer, not somethign that just is turned on without my control or knowledge of power consumption or anything thats going on... Its not critical but adds integrity and a sense of security for your hardware.... all in my opinion though

then again appearance and bling will attract the attention of rich lil nerds and pc modders... so i guess it leaves a door open for new customers? sure, why not.

if your making a new psu with some extra bling i think the molex covers from a mod I seen would be an added appearance plus ..... i'll add the link whenever i find it again

Frankly all I need is a good stable efficient PSU with good voltage rails with plent-a-ful amps with atleast 500W as most modern systems need a lot of power especially gaming machines. Another good feature is a modular PSU to clean up cable clutter a bit though cable management is easy, it just takes time. Around $100 is the maximum I would spend.

StarMonkee    0

tbh wattage doesn't mean much to me since am only running a 2.2Ghz Barton and a AGP X700 so I'd go for appearance. The modular designs, UV reactive braiding, UV fans etc.

As I said to me wattage isn't ver important to me. I'd settle for 450-500 Watts just incase I want to push bits that little bit further

A feature most PSUs must have in my eyes has to be dual 120mm fans or even better no fans so its silent. Anything sporting two 80mm fans is gonna make the PC sound like a tank.

Price wise anything between £50-100 would be a good price range for myself. I would never see the point in buying a PSU above £100 even if it has lots of fancy features in the end I'd never need half of them.

Guess am just a sucker for look when it comes down to PC componants lol

T-shirt    0

I voted wattage, but I meant more about stable, clean power output that meets or exceeds the published spec, than total power output.

All the things in the poll are important, but priority may change depending on what you are building the system for ie

HTPC=quiet is very imporant

windowed/modded case= apperance moves up the list

etc

Infinity    0

1. How much wattage do you think is sufficient?

425W

2. What features are must-have to this PSU?

Silence, none of this 18dB crap, I'm talking <10dB atleast.

Efficency, this will also help witht he silence factor since the more efficent it is, the less heat and electrical noise it'll produce.

Stability, what's the point of having a psu with rails all over the place.

No braiding, no windows, no lights or other tacky crap like that.

User friendly connectors (i.e. molex' with "ears" on for easy removal)

3. How much are you willing to spend on this PSU?

~£150 (~$263US)

First thing I looked for with my last PSU was that it met the minimum requirement for an SLI 7800 rig (basically it had the SLI mark of approval), had a read to see what others were using and then chose the one I thought looked best.

For one rig it was a quiet but powerful SLI one, for the other rig without SLI I thought I would try out the modular PSU as they are so much tider (and as a result I am much happier using em)

Don't want to be entered into the comp, just my 2c and seeing as you gave me that Northbridge watercooler already - I really would have nowhere to put it :D