Sign in to follow this  
domoMKIV

Hyper6+ and A8N-SLI Deluxe

i dunno, doesnt look too good now.

i did a test fit without the cpu on, and there was BARELY enough thread to get the nuts on.

the cpu with the IHS on will raise the height a small amount, meaning even less thread. :x

I just put this on an ASUS A8N-E and it was hard to get it on. Nothing gets in the way but the one big issue is that Coolermaster needs to make the screws longer. The screws aren't long enough. Just sitting the screws leaves you with no threading what-so-ever. You really have to put some muscle and another pair of hands to push the screws down to screw the bolt down. If the screws were one or two millimeters longer it would be easier to install.

h0tr0d    0

If it does, I am missing something.

I have an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe board with the new FX60 dual core chip from AMD.

I put the fan on, attached the K8 heatsink base plate. I take the big screws(the double threaded ones), screw them into the the heatsink base plate, and oops. The board comes with a backplate already, and if you try sitting the Hyper6+ over, and screwing in the screws clockwise(righty tighty), they will not go because the screws are double threaded, and already into the heatsink base plate. OR if they do,. screwing them in, unscrews them from the heatsink baseplate as you do... gah. NP says I.

I take the screws out. Place the Hyper6+ on the cpu, and start to screw the screws in. I don't know WHY i would think it would work... because to get them into the alreadyb attached backplate, the screws need to go clockwise... but to screw into the heatsink base plate, counter clockwise. This won't work, what to do..

Ah yes, I remove the backplate they stuck on(the one that came with board), and will use the one that came with the Hyper 6+. Now you no longer have those screw posts sticking up as with the board included backplate. I take my Hyper6+, place on CPU, and I have a good half an inch from the baseplate to the board. So my CPU is going to be crushed if I tighten this down..

IF i could tighten in down. Just enough of the screw comes through the motherboard so that I can physically touch, maybe a few sheets of paper width here. Barely clears the backplate... and not enough to get a washer grip on. Which, if i could, and screwed on, would crush my CPU.

And yes if I use different screws they are too long.. but I am having issues with this heatsink on this board and processor.

What am I missing!!!!

Yeah the Hyper6+ is a pain to install as the screws are a bit too short in my view. You really need to use alot of elbow grease to get the socket screwed on to the back of the board. Don't worry about crushing your CPU. I was worried about my CPU getting crushed but everything booted just fine. There is nothing you can really do if you are worried. Like I said I installed the Hyper6+ on an Asus A8N-E and it took alot of time and a second pair of hands.

h0tr0d    0

I am just not ready to press down the weight needed for the screws to come out the back...it takes more then a moderate force to get it soo. I can see myself physically exerting myself... I shouldn't be sweating doing this...and I am a pretty strong guy.. I just do not feel comfortable doing it! ah well.

domoMKIV    0

i just went to Lowes (or your local home improvement store) and picked up the items that were listed in the link I had posted earlier. Got it installed just fine, much easier than wrestling with it!

domoMKIV    0

All you need is to push the MB down a little bit then slow screw it on. I suggest screw it using a hand screw driver. We have to make the screw the length it is because most of the standoff screws on cases aren't long enough so if we make the hyper 6+ screws too long it will touches the MB tray and might short out the CPU or the MB.

I will say it again, IT WILL FIT!!!!

Alright im gonna give it a shot again when I get back from the gym in a little bit, i dont have a video card so my pc is down anyway, but im gonna confirm what he is saying by bolting this mf'er up with the retail nuts/bolts!!!

ice_cubed    0

If you can't make it work with the bolts it came with, use nylon bolts and nuts. Use a nylon bolt that is 1/2" longer than the original and trim off any excess after the cooler is installed. They are strong enough for a job like this, easy to cut to length, and non-conductive.

domoMKIV    0

tried it again, the "stepped" screws will NOT thread through the k8/p4/etc bracket. the wider part seems juuuuuuuuust too big to go through any of the brackets.

if it did, it would fit perfectly.

domoMKIV    0

well i have another solution, this one isnt as complex as the one i linked to.

This is for a K8 setup with TWO mounting holes (since they seem to be the only ones that have any sort of problem).

Things you need:

Motherboard retail backplate setup (screws, backplate)

(4) Rubber Washers from the Hyper6+

(4) #8 Nylon Washers

(2) 8-32 Insert Lock Nuts

Take your mobo retail backplate apart. Remove the screws, the black plastic and the metal plate. You are going to reuse the metal plate and the screws.

Put the rubber washers(not the plastic ones) on the bottom and the top of the board (over the mounting holes, of course, use all 4)

Place the screws into the backplate from the BOTTOM up (so the threads are showing on the front of the mobo) and then reinsert the backplate through the mobo holes.

*Place 2 nylon washers on each bolt (right on top of the rubber washers).

Mount the Hyper6+ onto the screws/mobo.

Take the lock nuts and tighten them down. BOOM, you're done.

*If you notice you have a spacing problem, remove/add nylon washers as necessary.

I'll take pics if anyone needs to see them to understand what im talking about. But it works great and is a :) of a lot easier than the link I posted.